|Chp. 32: Hunting for Everyone|

So when you hunted for a base full of people you tended to need a nice amount of prey. Erick spoke of herds of moose and deer who needed their numbers cut down a bit to prevent overpopulation. Erick of course came with and left Esmeralda in charge of the base.

To my surprise they had this cart they hooked up to the draft mule to pull. I was quiet from the back of the brown mare who moved gracefully through the woods. The horses had recovered well, and even gained weight while here.

They were on this rich green hay to put extra weight on for the winter before being switched to this other hay. Lupa was at my side looking ahead trotting next to Eden. Two rabbits hung from the mare that Lupa had caught while we went on to where the herd would be.

Lupa spotted them and snapped their necks before bringing them back. Lupa was very keen and alert then most of the bears here. Although she was raised to be like that because of our mother. A good hunter is a keen and alert hunter. A patient one.

My eyes watched the forest as I rocked on the mare the rabbits brushing my legs. Lupa was much more quicker than the bears looping ahead her nose to the ground. Determined to get a scent for the new area for she knew what to expect next time.

Honestly I'd love to tell all these bears I hated crowds and didn't like people because I was a wolf, but I'd be lying. Wolves thrived in a pack environment as an instinct always came through when there was other people around. And it flashed when the bears came, pulsed when Quinn came along, and now it shined here.

And I wasn't too happy about it. My mother always taught me that a wolf does well in a pack. That survival comes in numbers. And that instinct pulsed within me from a top the horse as Quinn walked next to me as Eden walked with him.

Lupa stopped dead center her nostrils flaring in and out as she caught a scent. I heard the whispers about her. Lupa caught the scent before most of the bears did since she was trying much harder and letting the scents come to her while they forced scents to go to the bears.

Lupa took off into the woods after giving me a look. 'There is a moose nearby, elderly.' Was all Lupa said before darting off and I got off the brown mare. Lupa was quick and all I did was hand Quinn the reins before following her.

I really didn't care what any of the bears thought about my hunting skills. None of them were my alpha, therefore I was my own alpha. I didn't need the command on when to attack. The only way they would get that privilege was if they were made alpha or became alpha.

And I was never submitting to a bear here. Not even Quinn had that amount of trust from him to be the alpha. Lupa stayed ahead darting through the forest her nose to the ground as she tracked down the elderly moose that would soon be on our dinner plate.

Lupa was quick through tracking as I got out my bow and nocked an arrow through while blending into the environment as we got to some trees and hid behind them to conceal ourselves out of sight. If the prey saw us they ran and we didn't need that.

An elderly bull who was still thick though. Muscled, and no doubt full of meat. Lupa got into her crouch prepared to strike as the arrow would find it's home. I gave Lupa a look and she nodded as we communicated through our looks and thoughts.

I stretched the arrow back aiming for it's neck before letting the arrow fly loose. As soon as the arrow hit the bull's neck and it yelled in pain Lupa struck hard grabbing it by it's hindquarters and yanking it around to bring it down. Once more I nocked an arrow and let it fly through the air.

It struck home in the leg as the bull went down and Lupa struck at it's throat tearing it clean out before backing up as I came over. I twisted the arrows around and grabbed them happy to see the tips still intact and not broken in the moose.