|Chp. 12: The Way of the Wolf|

"Silver can you tell me where the wolf strikes when they first start the pursue of the prey?" My mother asked as I sat in the furs of our tent. Lupa was in my lap still as small as our puppy self. I was petting her.

"The neck?" I asked. "No Silver, that's the move for when they go in for the kill." My mother told me and I looked at Lupa. She looked back. 'Try the legs.' Lupa encouraged getting up and going between my legs and I looked back at my mom.

"The legs?" I asked unsure. "Yes Silver, when we hunt, you go for the legs. The wolf pack will chase the prey and nip at it's flanks to try to herd it away. This will also wear it out while the other wolves flank them to go in. Which position do you not attack in?" My mother asked.

I knew that one. "The front because if your hunting a buffalo, a moose or anything big they can trample you with their hooves, while when behind they can't." I told my mother. "Very good Silver." My mother said as the tent parted.

My mother's hand touched the spear she had, but moved her hand when her wolf, Ebony came in. Ebony was a big wolf and Lupa's mother. Lupa's ears perked up and she got out of my lap. Hanging from Ebony's mouth were two hares that she had no doubt hunted while my mom did our daily lessons.

Lupa began to bark at Ebony in hopes of getting food. When Ebony set down the rabbits she nipped Lupa right in the flank making Lupa yelp as she got disciplined. 'Then do not beg like that Lupa, you'll get food when I give you food.' Ebony scolded Lupa.

Lupa pouted before coming over and laying next to me. Ebony laid down next to my mother. My mother looked over at Ebony. "Is that all you could find?" My mother asked. "There was a third one, a baby, but it ran to it's hole before I could get it. We'll go back later as it will not survive.' Ebony answered.

Ebony was pretty and big. She had amber colored eyes and dark fur. A very dark brown with black mixed throughout it. Ebony was big, and mom said that one day Lupa will be that big. That we won't be pups anymore.

'But this should be enough for us for tonight at least. I'll split a hare with Lupa and you with Silver. Later we'll get the baby and split it once more for tonight.' Ebony said and I watched my mom and her spirit animal discuss our food with awe in my eyes.

"What for the next week?" My mother asked. 'Karma it's time.' Ebony said using my mother's name and I knew Ebony was serious. "Time for what?" I asked wanting to know what Ebony and my mother were talking about. "They're still young Ebony, twelve more moons." My mother insisted.

'No Karma, one of us always has to stay and watch them while the other one hunts. Which is why we only catch hares and squirrels. Bring Lupa and Silver on a hunt and we'd get a big catch. A deer maybe even a bison and then we'll be good for more than just a few days.'

Ebony looked at my mother. "Mommy, what's Ebony talking about?" I asked scooting over to her. My mother turned towards me. 'Lupa is my pup as well Karma, I know you want to protect them. But you also want to teach them the way of the wolf.' Ebony said.

"We are teaching them." My mother responded. 'Your teaching them the basics, just words for them to remember. You want Lupa and Silver to be a wolf one day, a strong one. Teach them to hunt.' Ebony said and Lupa's ears perked up as she came running over.

'We're gonna hunt mommy! Are we, are we?' Lupa asked bouncing around Ebony. Ebony watched Lupa before gently pushing her. 'Yes Lupa, we'll hunt all we have to is get Karma to agree to it.' Ebony said nuzzling Lupa affectionately making Lupa nuzzle back and lay down as Ebony laid down.

Lupa cuddled into Ebony soaking up her body heat. "I want to hunt." I told my mother. "Silver." My mother said. 'Do not Silver her Karma, do we have to go through this again. It took me long enough for you to stop nursing her when she was just a newborn pup to bring her the chewed food.' Ebony scolded my mother. "That is different Ebony, Lupa and Silver can get hurt out there." My mother said. 'Karma one day they won't be pups, they need to be prepared to hunt one day with us.' Ebony told my mother.