Tough Love

The next day Angelica stopped by the lake to tell the mermaids goodbye. They were bummed they couldn't go to school with her. Gabriel had immediately shot down that idea. Angelica didn't need any more attention drawn to her.

As she drove to school, she was suddenly hit with an epiphany. She had a boyfriend. Even though no one could know about him or see him she was giddy with excitement and bummed at the same time. She wanted so badly to tell Nala so that they could squeal together at the top of their voices while holding hands and jumping in place.

Instead, she kept one hand on the wheel and the other hand wrapped around Michael's, so tight as if she was afraid he would disappear and her dream come true would shatter.

Nala and Roman were waiting for her. Over the past few months, the three of them had become best friends. Roman ate lunch with them daily, and he had even moved to the front of class beside Angelica in English. They hung out after school either in the student lounge or in the fencing gymnasium.

Angelica sensed he liked the feeling of belonging somewhere again. She also knew that he liked her more than just as a friend, hence the murderous look Michael was giving him. If she didn't love Michael, she could see herself giving Roman a chance, but for now she would be the best friend she could be.

"Hey, Angelica, I was just telling Roman about my freak accident," said Nala pointing to her neck. For a second, Angelica felt nauseous when she glanced at Nala's neck.

"Yeah, that was crazy," said Angelica, laughing weakly. She felt a sliver of guilt wriggle in her stomach.

" 'Crazy' doesn't even begin to explain that," laughed Roman. "It looks like a vampire took a swig outta her neck. Show it to her."

Nala went to pull down the bandage, and Angelica stopped her before she could. "No, I'm good. Unless you like the sight of vomit."

"That's just rude," said Nala.

"Where have you been Roman?" Angelica said looking at him and pursing her lips. Roman had been MIA for the past week. They had tried going to his dorm, but he hadn't been there.

"Oh, I haven't been feeling too good," he said, rubbing the back of his neck and avoiding looking at her.

"Are you okay now?" Nala asked, genuinely concerned.

"I think so," he said, giving them a faint smile.

"He is hiding something," growled Michael. Angelica knew he was, too, but she hoped it wasn't anything that was related to his uncle.

"So, how was your weekend?" Roman asked, coming a bit too close to Angelica for Michael's comfort level. Angelica could feel Michael tense beside her.

"Um, it was cool. Pretty laid back. I went to Mexico." It was out of her mouth before she knew what she had said. Angelica held her breath waiting for their responses.

Roman and Nala looked at her, then each other, and burst into laughter. "Yeah, right! Unless your family has a private jet, we don't know about!" said Nala.

"Oh, I thought I told you," Angelica said with a serious face.

"What?!" Nala said, not smiling anymore.

"Sike," Angelica grinned.

"That's too bad. I was hoping you could whisk us away to Paris for a romantic getaway," Roman said, making his voice deeper than usual.

Michael mumbled something under his breath while Angelica stood there, speechless.

Nala burst into laughter. "That was the lamest line ever! Seriously, Roman, I can do better than that!" She began to mock Roman's voice, repeating what he'd said. Roman started chasing her across campus as she squealed with laughter.