Sixteen Years Ago

It was half past midnight. Gabriel sat in her office reading, "Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban." She was so captivated by the book that she didn't hear the infant's cries. Finally, a summons from Michael drew her attention. She dashed out of the office to Robinette's room where Angelica slept. Michael was pacing frantically. When he saw Gabriel, relief flooded his face.

"I-I didn't know what to do. I checked the room, and there weren't any threats that I could see or smell, but she insisted on screaming at the top of her lungs."

"It's okay," Gabriel said reassuringly as she patted him on the shoulder. "I will take care of her."

Michael exhaled and left the room.

Gabriel looked after him and laughed to herself. It was funny to see the fiercest angel in all the realms frazzled by a newborn. She went into Robinette's room and stood over the bassinet that was next to her bed.

Angelica's wailing should have woken up Robinette, but since Angelica's birth she had gotten very little sleep. She must've crashed finally. Gabriel gently picked up Angelica and cradled her in her arms.

"Shhh, little one," Gabriel said, shushing her as she tiptoed out of the bedroom. Angelica's crying ebbed to whimpers as she looked up at Gabriel with her big, almond-shaped hazel eyes. Gabriel went straight to the kitchen.

"Let me guess, you must be hungry," Gabriel said softly as she took a premade bottle of breast milk out of the fridge. She placed the bottle in a bowl and put it in the sink under running hot water. "We will give that a minute to warm up. Then we can fill up your little belly," Gabriel said, rocking her gently.

After a couple of minutes Gabriel took the bottle out of from under the water. She shook a couple of drops of the milk on the back of her hand, testing the temperature. It was lukewarm, the way it needed to be.

Gabriel took a seat at the dining table and plopped the bottle into Angelica's mouth. Angelica sucked the bottle dry within minutes and dozed off to sleep in the process. Gabriel chuckled when she took the bottle out of her mouth, and Angelica made a satisfied grunt with her eyes still closed.

"You are a natural at this," Robinette whispered from the doorway.

Gabriel looked at her with an apologetic glance. "I didn't want to wake you," Gabriel said in a hushed tone.

"No, it's fine," Robinette said, walking closer. "I needed the rest. Thank you."

"Anytime," Gabriel said, smiling and looking back at the sleeping baby.

Robinette looked over Gabriel's shoulder at Angelica.

"Have you ever thought about being a mother?"

Gabriel's smile faltered. Robinette instantly regretted asking the question.

"I'm not able to have children," Gabriel said.

"I'm sorry," Robinette said squeezing her shoulder.

"It's okay," Gabriel said, flashing her a genuine smile. "My profession is just as rewarding. It wouldn't be fair for one person to have me all to themselves when so many people need my help."

Robinette smiled at her. "You're truly an angel sent from heaven. I hope Angelica is like you when she grows up."

Gabriel smiled uncomfortably and stood up. She handed Angelica off to Robinette. "One doesn't have to be an angel to do good. All you need is a good seed in your heart. Because you are her mother, you have already planted one in Angelica's." Gabriel kissed Angelica on the cheek and retreated to her office.

Gabriel tried to continue her reading, but she couldn't. Her conversation with Robinette echoed in her thoughts. Even though she hadn't confided in Robinette, for the longest time, having a family of her own was one of the things Gabriel had dreamed about.

Even though this was impossible for angels, she liked to think that the Creator had granted her wish when he had assigned her to Robinette and Angelica. Within the little bit of time, she had spent with them she had come to love them like her own family.

There was nothing she wouldn't do for them or to protect them.

Interesting Fact: The first book I read in the Harry Potter series was Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I had ran across it on my college campus in the bookstore and thought it sounded good, not knowing it was apart of a series. Of course I loved it and went back and started from the beginning.