Full Moon

Michael pushed Angelica behind him, and Gabriel grabbed her. Roman came and stood beside Michael. His uncle was standing about ten feet from the entrance to the house. Beside him was a young man in a white suit who looked like he was in his early twenties. Roman's stomach dropped when he realized who he was. He looked like he could have been Angelica's big brother, not her father.

"Gabriel, get her out of here now," said Michael.

Gabriel didn't hesitate. She threw Angelica over her shoulder and walked back the way they had come in. Michael looked at Roman. "Don't you think you should be following her?"

Roman grabbed his switchblade from off his utility belt, swiftly turned around, and stabbed a half-human, half-snake creature in the head that he had heard creeping up behind him.

"I have some unfinished business to handle," he said, turning back around and looking at his uncle, as he wiped the blade off on his pants.

"This is no longer your fight," said Michael. "Go protect Angelica."

"You did see who just took her out of here, didn't you? I don't think Wonder Woman will have a problem protecting Angelica."

Michael looked like he was about to crack a smile, but he didn't. "Fine, then. Your blood is not on my hands."

"And yours isn't on mine," Roman said with a shrug.

Michael glared at him and then turned his attention to his uncle and Lucifer, who were watching them curiously. "Let's keep them occupied and give Gabriel enough time to get away."

Roman nodded in agreement. They both stepped outside facing their opponent.

"Roman, what are you doing boy?" asked his uncle Julius. "You don't belong here. You should be at a fencing lesson or in a corner, sulking as usual. Don't let this girl cause you to make the biggest mistake of your life."

"And what would that mistake be?"

"Losing your life, son!" Julius and Lucifer both laughed.

"In order for me to lose my life, there would have to be a threat," said Roman, sneering at his uncle. "All I see is a nuisance."

"I understand how you feel," said Julius. "I once felt the same way about your father. He was like a fly that buzzed incessantly around my head. That is until I finally got tired of him, and swatted him dead."

"What are you saying?" asked Roman, feeling his hands tremble.

Julius rolled his eyes upward and threw up his hands exaggeratedly. "You nitwit, what I'm saying is I killed your dad — and the rest of your family. And if you had been in that car, I would have killed you too, but unfortunately you weren't."

"Why?" asked Roman. He was so mad his entire body was shaking.

"Why?" mocked Julius in a whiny voice. "Your father was a pain in my ass, just like you are starting to be. And just like him, you are messing with my money and my reputation."

Without thinking about it, Roman threw the switchblade that had been twitching in his palm since his uncle had started talking, straight at his head. Julius caught the switchblade inches from his face.

"I think you have upset the boy, Julius," said Lucifer, teasingly. "These teenagers are so sensitive nowadays. Wouldn't you agree, Michael? You have been babysitting one for a while now, haven't you?"

Michael didn't say anything, and just gave him a cold stare.

"Michael, are we really going to do this?" Lucifer asked. "I just want what is rightfully mine. Let me get my daughter, and then you and Gabriel can go back to Caelus and do what you do best, kiss his butt!" he said, pointing upwards and laughing.