Bargaining Chips

"Nooo!" cried Angelica running toward the door.

"Angelica, stay here," instructed Connie. "I need one of you in here if we want the spell to work." Angelica halted, conflicted between wanting to help her mother and completing the reversal spell.

"Please protect her," Angelica called after Michael and Gabriel, who were out of the door in seconds.

She ran to a nearby window to see what was happening. Robinette was being dragged off the porch into the street by a hideous version of an angel. Burns scarred his face and body, and his wings were black and featherless. Michael appeared behind the creature.

"Release her," he commanded.

The creature made the mistake of looking behind him and releasing Robinette when he saw Michael. Instead of running away, Robinette jumped up off the ground and while the creature was facing Michael, she grabbed his head and forcefully snapped his neck.

She backed away in shock as the creature fell to the ground, disoriented, but still alive. She turned and ran away while Michael took his opportunity and sliced off the supernatural's head.

Robinette stopped running when she saw Gabriel throw the woman to the ground, put one foot on top of her and chop off her head with an obscenely long sword. Angelica pounded on the window to get Robinette's attention. Robinette looked at her and Angelica beckoned to her to come in.

Robinette took a step, then she stopped.

"It's done!" yelled Connie.

Angelica felt a warm, fuzzy feeling spread over her, from her head to her toes. She suddenly had memories of dance class, Robinette tucking her into bed, them playing at the park, memories of meeting Connie and loving Gabriel. She looked at her mother who was looking back at her with recognition.

She remembered everything, as well.

They both ran to each other. When Angelica opened the door, her mother was coming up the steps with a smile lighting up her face. It was as if everything happened in slow motion. Angelica yelling at her mother to look behind her. Her mother oblivious to the witch who had manifested behind her on the stairs. The witch, Diamantia stabbing Robinette in the back with a dagger.

"The master sends his regards." Diamantia laughed, before disappearing.

Robinette dropped to her knees, falling into Angelica's arms. Connie's scream sounded far away and muffled to Angelica's ears as she held her mother. Robinette pressed her hand to Angelica's face, smiling with blood seeping from her mouth.

"I love you."

"I love you too," said Angelica. Tears coursed down Angelica's face and spilled onto Robinette's.

"Angelica, I have to pull the dagger out to save her!" yelled Connie hysterically.

Angelica kept her eyes on her mother's eyes as Connie yanked the dagger out of her back and the life trickled out of Robinette's eyes. Even when Connie summoned Adaira and yelled to Angelica that she could save her, Angelica knew it wasn't true. Adaira and Connie took Robinette's lifeless body into the townhome.

Angelica looked at the bloody dagger on the ground. She reached for it, but Gabriel stopped her. "Don't touch it. It was conceived in Abyssal and from your father. You don't know what dark magic it may wield over you."

Angelica only half-heard her as she and Michael brought her inside. Her mother's lifeless body was on the sofa and Connie was kneeling beside her, crying. She hadn't been able to save her this time. Gabriel walked over and kneeled beside Connie. She lightly kissed Robinette's forehead.

Arrival of the Beast (Lucifer's Clock Series, Book 2)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara