Sixteen Years Ago

Michael paced the floor of the tiny apartment. Every now and then he would steal a glance over at Angelica and Robinette. Robinette was trying to comfort her, but Angelica continued to bawl her eyes out. He still couldn't believe this baby was Lucifer's and he was her guardian angel. It had been a couple of days since her birth, and the news was still surreal to him.

"You aren't hungry or wet. I don't know what's wrong with you," said Robinette, with frustration in her voice. She laid Angelica down in her bassinet. "I'm going to call Gabriel. Something is wrong."

Michael watched as Robinette went to get the telephone. The last person he wanted to see was his nosy, overbearing sister. Maybe there was something he could do. He did have the ability to soothe innocents like every other angel.

He reluctantly approached the bassinet. Since he had come home with them, he had kept his distance. He was afraid that if he got too close to her, he would fall under whatever spell she had weaved over him at the hospital. He hesitantly peered over the bassinet at the screaming baby. She turned her small head towards him, and her wailing died to a whimper.

"Hi," a tiny voice said in his head. Michael frowned.

"Why aren't you talking to me?" The voice spoke again. She looked up at him with her big, watery eyes and her small lips fixed in a pout. Was that her speaking to him? Michael was speechless. He had never encountered an innocent baby that could communicate with him.

"I-I didn't know you could do this," Michael whispered, as if Robinette would hear him.

Angelica took her tiny little fists and rubbed her eyes. "Mommy doesn't know either."

"Others like you can't do this," Michael said, running his hands through his hair. He was wondering what else she could do. "You are... special."

"Spe-cia-l," Angelica said, giggling and flailing her arms and legs in excitement. "I like that word."

"Will you stop crying now?" Michael asked, happy that she wasn't making a fuss any longer.

"Yes," she gushed. "Will you be my friend now?"

"I am more than your friend. I'm your guardian angel," Michael said, smiling. He couldn't help himself. She was so adorable and innocent.

"I don't know what that is, but I like it!" she cooed.

"Angelica?!" Robinette called running back into the room. Michael moved out of her way.

"What the?! You stopped crying!" Robinette said leaning over the bassinet.

Angelica cooed and flashed her mom a huge smile. Robinette picked her up and hugged her tightly. "Don't scare me like that again."

"I wasn't trying to scare you, Mommy. I was trying to get my friend's attention." Angelica giggled while looking over Robinette's shoulder at Michael.

He would have scoffed at someone telling him he would be the guardian angel to the Anti-Christ and furthermore, friends with her. Yet here he was, and the truth was, he was starting not to mind it. As he watched Angelica with Robinette, for the first time he felt an emotion he had never felt before; hope.

Interesting Fact: Have you ever seen a baby look in the air and laugh and coo as if someone is playing with them? Some people believe that babies are in fact playing with angels or spirits that we can't see.  (Vote or Comment if you like)