It's Not Magic

Angelica took her time taking her shower and getting dressed. She tried to put off facing Connie and Gabriel, but she knew she would have to answer for her actions. She had done the one thing she had tried avoiding, betraying their trust. She opened the door to her bedroom to leave, when she saw Michael coming out of his room down the hall.

He noticed her at the same time, and they both paused for a brief second. This would have been the perfect time for them to talk. He could explain to her why he had left without an explanation, and she could explain to him why she had decided to move on with Roman. She closed her door and began walking down the hall toward the stairs.

"Angelica," she heard him say from behind her.

She stopped without turning around. "What?" she answered harshly.

"Nothing," said Michael, sounding defeated.

Angelica continued down the steps. She felt a small bit of remorse when she heard the hopelessness in his voice, but he had hurt her, and he deserved to feel the way she had felt when he left her.

She went to the living room where Roman was. Connie was tending to his injuries there.

"I put a mixture on your head that should help heal the cut and soothe the pain. I would have given you something stronger, but it seems you are immune to those things. Your ankle is sprained. Stay off it for a couple of days, and take this as needed for pain," Connie said, giving him a bottle of pills.

"Thank you," said Roman. "I feel better already. Did you do some of your cool magic on me?" He gave her a strained smile.

Connie stood up from wrapping his ankle and smirked. "Unfortunately, my magic won't work on you."

"So, you are admitting that what I saw in the woods was magic?" he said, as if he had caught her in a lie.

Connie ignored him. "Angelica will show you where you can sleep." She left the living room, but not before giving Angelica a disapproving look.

"Hey, you," said Roman smiling at her.

Under the bright lights of the room, she got a good look at how much of a beating he had taken for her. She felt horrible this had happened to him, all because of her. She took a seat next to him.

"I'm so sorry," Angelica murmured.

"This isn't your fault."

"Yes, it is. If I hadn't sneaked out, none of this would have happened."

"What if that crazy chick had found you somewhere else? She has apparently been following you. Sooner or later, you would've run into her."

"That's true, but you wouldn't have gotten hurt, either."

Roman intertwined Angelica's hand in his. "Angelica, for you I would do this a hundred times over, if it means protecting you and keeping you safe. I would rather die than let somebody else I care about get hurt."

After everything Roman had been through, she knew he meant that from the bottom of his heart. He made her feel the exact opposite of how Michael had made her feel lately; he made her feel, loved and wanted. He deserved to be happy and so did she.

She leaned over and kissed him softly on the lips. Roman's hand slid around the back of her neck, drawing her into him and claiming her lips for his. When they pulled apart, Michael was standing in the doorway.

"Gabriel wants to see you in her office," he said stiffly. He quickly walked away.

Angelica groaned inwardly. She should have felt pleasure at Michael seeing her kiss Roman, but she didn't. She felt ashamed and guilty, as if she had betrayed him.