Silver Arrows

Angelica half-listened to Gabriel as she told her they were moving because she was in imminent danger. Angelica wanted to yell at the top of her lungs, "What's new?!" As usual, she hadn't been given a choice or a say-so in the matter, but at this point she didn't care. All that mattered was they had lied to her and kept her from her mother. She couldn't trust any of them, and one way or another, she was getting out of that house.

"Angelica?"

Angelica snapped to attention at the mention of her name. "What?"

"Did you hear what I said?" Gabriel said, holding her hand out. "Give me your cell phone."

"I heard you loud and clear, Gabriel. Do what you say and don't ask any questions."

Angelica reached into her sweat shirt pocket and threw the cell phone onto her desk. She left the office and went to the kitchen. She hadn't been eating much since she had been holed up in her room for the past two days. Now that she had a mission, she needed food to fuel her thinking process.

She faltered in her steps when she entered the kitchen. Michael was sitting at the kitchen counter. Why was he there? Had they told him to watch her? She rolled her eyes at him and went to the refrigerator. After rummaging around for a minute or two, she pulled out items to make herself a hoagie. She sat at the opposite end of the counter. Even though she could feel Michael looking at her she avoided eye contact and acted like he wasn't there.

"I'm sorry, Angelica," he said quietly. Angelica looked at him as she took a bite out of her sandwich. Did he think saying 'sorry' would fix not only what he had done, but what they had done to her?

"I never wanted you to be unhappy and locked up like a prisoner. All I've ever wanted to do was protect you and keep you safe. I know you think that I don't care about you, but that's not true. It's just...our situation is complicated."

"We no longer have a situation," Angelica said in-between bites of her food. "Remember you threw that away when you left without giving me an explanation."

"If I had a choice, I would've never left—''

"We always have a choice, Michael. It may not be one we like, but it's there. You just chose to ignore yours."

Michael held his head down. It was his turn to avoid looking at her.

"No worries. I'm glad you left. I now know without a doubt we can't be together because you will always be more loyal to your Creator than to me."

"Can we at least be friends?" Michael pleaded.

I think I'll pass," Angelica said, standing up and smirking.

Michael stood, too, with a look of desperation marring his beautiful face. Angelica returned the items to the refrigerator and placed her dishes in the sink. Michael met her at the kitchen entrance.

"Angelica, please?" he begged.

"Piss off," Angelica growled. She proceeded to walk around him, and Michael grabbed her arm.

Angelica instantly received a flood of emotions and images. She saw his wants and dreams for them, his daily internal battle, and most of all, his love for her. It was staggering, so much, that her knees almost buckled underneath her.

"Are you alright?" he asked, leading her to a chair.

"You...touched me," Angelica whispered, still reveling in the emotions she had felt.

Michael looked taken back, then realized what had happened. "I forget that you have the gift of telepathy." Michael took a few steps back from her. "It's so easy for one to forget you are your father's child."