Chapter 18

"You do realise it's Ukyos birthday, right?" Fae raises a sceptical eyebrow at Yuusuke. The boy fusses over his words, face scrunching up. He summons his bet argument.

"It's in December."

"It is December, Yuse." Fae says incredulously, putting her glass in the sink.

"He's a grown adult. He won't want anything."

"You brought Kaname a gift, why not Ukyou?" Yuusuke groans at her remark, grabbing fistfuls of his hair. "It's only fair."

"Fine..." He sighs. "What did you get him?"

"Bottle of alcohol and a card."

"Adults and their alcohol." He mutters. "I can't buy alcohol."

"Then be creative." Fae shrugs. "It's not me that forgot my own brother's birthday." He groans in a retort at that. Fae chuckles. She is as annoying as Tsubaki and Fuuto, but Yuusuke always held back his anger for her. He didn't fancy getting into an argument with a cop. Or maybe he is a gentleman and doesn't want to argue with a girl?

"Hi, Kaname." Fae greets, raising a hand. Then she notices who's behind him. "Hi, Masaomi." He nods in reply, walking around Fae and standing in front of the fridge, basking in the cold. She tilts her head. "You alright there?"

"Masa is going out tonight." Kaname grins. She can see the curve of his smile, how he knows something he shouldn't.

"Oh, where to?" She asks. Kaname's grin grows.

"Somewhere interesting, is where he's going." Fae giggles at that. Masaomi is dressed down compared to normal, a tight shirt and jeans.

"Meeting with friends?" Fae tilts her head. Masaomi steps away from the fridge, his face slightly red.

"A matchmaker." Masaomi informs, almost under his breath. Fae laughs lightly at that.

"Sounds fun." She grins. Masaomi stops, staring at her. He doesn't know how to respond to that. At the wedding, he promised he'd stay with Fae. But isn't going to a matchmaker breaking that promise? But she looks so happy for him - Masaomi doesn't know how to react. He awkwardly rubs the nape of his neck, giving a weary smile.

"Thank you."

"So, Masa, how is this date going to end?" Kaname leans on the side, grinning. Masaomi stares at his hands, fingers laced together. He takes a deep breath, before giving his brow a level stare.

"I've already decided." Kaname backtracks at that answer. Is Masaomi just bluntly stating that? He must be enamoured by this women. Fae cocks a brow, unsure.

"Ukyou probably won't be home till late, so we're going to order takeaway tonight." Kaname says, looking over the schedule.

"Right." Fae nods, thinking. "Where do we keep that cart? I wanna put Ukyous presents on it and leave it outside his room for when he gets back."

"It's in the washing room." Masaomi inclines his head towards it.

"Thanks." She rushes off.

It's around 4:30 in the afternoon and Fae looks for Ema. She needs the girl to sign the card. Fae approaches the balcony that looks over the dining area and living room. She spots Wataru speaking to Ema. Ema sits on the floor, a cushion bellow her bottom and a controller firmly clutched in her hands. She isn't paying much attention to Wataru, her body leaning to the side as she guides her car out from traffic.

"Big sister, you're so wonderful. I love you!" Wataru's voice travels across the room. Fae smiles softly as she watches the two for a moment, but not before she raises a brow at Wataru's movements. He pads over to the thermostat and turns it up. He then pulls out a 1000 yen note from his pocket before slapping Ema around the face with it. Fae prickles, standing up straight as she descends the stairs. What had gotten into the youngest brother, Fae didn't know. She did know, on the other hand, that she'd find it out.