Chapter 13

Fae walks over to a table, placing down the two bouquets of flowers. Ema joins her, the girls idly chatting away as they watch couples on the dance floor, commenting about all the faces they recognised. Aunties, uncles, granddads and grandmas, and a couple of faces they knew from TV. As Fae continues to gossip, she notices Ema looking off to her right, watching as someone approaches them.

"Hello, Iori." Fae smiles, looking up at the younger boy. His pale grey suit fits him well, the aqua blue tie standing out on his pristine white top. Somehow, Iori seeming to pull off the garish colour. He offers his hand out to Fae as he peers up through his lashes.

"Could I ask you for a moment of your time to spare me a dance?" He questions, his head bowing slightly as his features soften, looking almost vulnerable. Fae places her hand atop his, noticing how soft his skin is and offer a soothing smile.

"I would love to." Fae smiles at him. He leads her over to the floor, before a hand curls over her hip and their hands intertwine.

"I should apologise beforehand," Fae starts with a bashful glance, "I'm not very good at dancing."

"You seem to be dancing very well." Iori smiles as they moved slowly together, their bodies swaying to the music.

"I did have to have lots of practice." Fae sheepishly admits, a small giggle leaving her at the memory. She recalls all the time she spent with Haru practising. To say Haru was surprised just to be called up for dancing lessons was an understatement. Fae watches her feet, her chin level to try to watch discreetly.

"You are dancing perfectly fine." Iori compliments in a soft voice, almost encouragingly.

"Well, that's because I'm following you." Fae looks away from her feet. "Where did you learn to dance so well?"

"At school. We host lots of events that require formal dancing." Iori explains.

"Just listening to you saying that makes me feel like a pauper." Fae laughs.

"How so?" Iori asks, confused. He is disarmed by Fae, so used to girls being reserved and quiet around him. Sure, Fae got bashful, but she is blunt. There was never any stepping on eggshells around her, and she seems so open.

"That aura of yours if flowing everywhere, spouting out 'Prince'. Your looks do nothing to help your predicament either." Fae compliments. Ever since the day Fae met Iori, he has always been composed, always giving off this calm, princely aura. But never once has she seen him laugh or give a proper smile. That is her aim right now; to loosen him up. "May I ask you a question? Or am I too lowly a person to talk to the prince?" Fae asks, wanting to tease Iori. Iori blinks owlishly.

"I give permission to ask." Iori joined in hesitantly, eyebrows twitching as he tries to keep a neutral expression.

"Well, Prince Iori," a grin makes its way on her face, "is it you that takes care of those beautiful flowers outside the residence?"

"Why it is I, that waters those beautiful flowers every day." Iori puffs up his chest, before looking to her for confirmation. He wants to be told he is doing correct, a look you'd see on a child's face when they are hesitant about whatever task they do. Fae can't stop smiling at this new side of Iori she hadn't seen before. It wouldn't surprise her if he were part of the drama department or something.

"I would also like to thank my Prince for giving my sister flowers when she fell ill. She was delighted with them. In fact, they're still in her room." Fae giggles, trying to keep herself composed.

"I do what I can for my family." Iori's lip twitches up, his hazel eyes soft and exposed.

"I can tell." Her voice is faint, and Fae can't stop her hand on his shoulder to cup his neck, her fingertips just touching the curly hairs on the back of his neck. Iori takes a staggered breath, his body jolting almost as his eyes dart away from her. The song ends, and they bow to each other. Fae watches as he darts off, his fingers twitching as he wipes his hands on his fitted trousers. It was mean, but she enjoyed teasing anyone with an innocent streak. Yet, she didn't expect that moment of vulnerability from him. Fae returns to her table expecting to see Ema still sat down awkwardly, but Ema is gone, dancing with Yuusuke. Fae lifts her camera from the table, lining it up as she snaps a picture of the two blushing teens. She wonders who initiated it, perturbed she missed watching the teen fumble. She continues to snap away, drifting between the brothers and guests to get them as themselves, no phoney smiles and stiff poses. Just natural, human, interactions.