Chapter 3

Fae rolls around in her bed, her brown hair lays out around her in a messy fashion. Her eyes flutter open, staring up at the plain white ceiling. Rolling onto her side, she raises her index finger and runs it over the bumpy texture of the wall, drawing invisible art in the darkness of her room. Fae stretches out her arms and arches her back, listening to the clicks with a satisfying groan. She was disoriented for a moment as she looks at her room before realising she was no longer in the old apartment complex but in the sunshine residence.

Fae peels back the covers and shivers at the cold air, goose bumps quickly appearing on her skin. She reluctantly sits up and scans over her room.

Opposite her was two doors, the left one was a white door leading to her small bathroom that contained a shower, decorated in black and white tiles. The door on the right was metal that leads out to the hall. Fae swoops her legs off the side of her bed and faces the television that was placed on top of a long cabinet that was soon to be filled with games, movies and consoles. She picks up the remote control that was put on her bedside cabinet and switches the television to the news channel and turns up the sound, letting the voices of the reporter drone in the background as she rolls her ankles.

She stands up, leaving the warmth of her bed, only for her toes to meet with cold floorboards as she turns to her right, groggily grabbing at the long pale curtains and skimming them to the left, letting the bright sunshine inside. Fae scrunched up her face, the light blinding her for a second before she sneezes. The room hadn't been used for a while, as Tsubaki had informed her the night before, so dust was still floating around. She made a mental note to clean the place before unpacking any further.

Walking past her bed, television and desk, she stops before a wardrobe, boxes from the night before stacked on top of it, left to be unpacked later. Opening up the closet, she looks at the top shelf to see it mostly bare except for the large camera placed in the middle. Ignoring her most prized possession, her gaze wonders to the long mirror placed on the left door. Her brown hair was in a mess and sleep still remained in her eyes, then she notices her cheek. Long thin bed marks had imprinted on her cheek and thigh, showing how good of a rest she had. Fae yawns as a thought ran through her mind.

I pity my future partner.

She goes back to the task at hand and removes the only outfit she'd put inside. Her work clothes. A white collared shirt, black suit pants and a black blazer. Removing the entire hook hanger, she heads to the bathroom, doing her morning routine.

Once she finished in the bathroom, she thumps towards her wardrobe again to check in her mirror. She adjusts her collar, taking languid looks of her body before searching for a lint roller. She then closes the doors and opens the draw on her desk and removes a long thick belt. She lopes the leather belt around her waist, hooking it on the third loop before snapping on her badge and gun holster, her trusty weapon inside. Then she walks over to her wardrobe and stands on her tiptoes, reaching for the box labelled 'shoes'. She pulls it down and drops it on the floor. Inside was six pairs of shoes, and she grabs the black ankle boots. Fae stood up and walks to her door, removing her keys that she left in the lock and clutching a black shoulder bag before opening the door. She locks it behind herself and throws in her keys. She walks two doors down before knocking and entering, greeting Ema with a smile.

"Don't you look snazzy?" Fae sends Ema a coy smile, watching as Ema places a clip into her hair. Ema already wore her school uniform, shoes already on her feet. Normally Fae would find her sister still in her pyjamas, playing her first game of the morning before even bothering with her teeth.

"You look good too, Fae." Ema grins, Juli as her side already. Fae smiles and approaches Ema's bed, finding her pyjamas dumped on the bed. She folds them up and places them under her pillow. Good habits die hard.