Chapter 23

Ema is growning up, and Fae feels proud of her. But as Fae taps her nails across the ceramic of the cup, she sighs. If she carries on like this, Ema would be heartbroken with her brothers pursuit.

"Good morning, Azoo." Fae greats, sipping her drink.

"Morning." He answers sluggishly. Fae sets her cup down on the table and stands, waiting in worry as Azusa steps down the stairs.

"Are you alright?" Fae tilts her head, Azusa slowly descending the stairs. "Would you like some food?"

"I'm fine and I don't have an appetite." Azusa stops at the bottom of the stairs. "Where's everyone else?"

"They've gone to the culture festival early to help set up. Are you going out?" Fae asks, eyeing him sceptically as he trots towards the table.

"Yeah." Azusa nods, managing a small smile.

"Are you sure you're alright? You're as white as a sheet."

"The headaches didn't go after I had those tablets for some reason." Azusa knocks his head with his fist gently. Her expression drops, more worrying filling her.

"Will you be alright going into work?"

"Yeah. But I need to get going." He sighs. He turns to leave only to clunch onto the chair and trip. Fae's eyes widen and she steps forward, holding his arm.

"Azus-ah!" Fae yelps as he falls forward suddenly, bringing her down too. "Azusa!" Fae looks down at his face, her hands braced on his chest as she leans over him.

"I'm okay..." Azusa says faintly. Fae stares at him in worry. He was sick, what could she do?

"Well, that's pretty bold of you. Jumping Azusa first thing in the morning? You're quite the go-getter." A male voice said from the stairs. She looks up at the man with long ginger hair.

"Hikaru!" Fae widens her eyes in surprise, sitting up slightly. He steps towards her, his hands stuffed into the pockets of his grey suit.

"How long do you plan to stay on top of Azusa?" Hikaru asks. And like electricity, Fae quickly removed her hands. Hikaru crouches down.

"Azusa, are you okay? Did you hit your head or anything?" Hikaru asks.

"Hika..." Azusa said faintly.

"Tell me, sis. How long has Azusa been like this?"

"For at least two days. I gave him headaches tablets yesterday but they didn't seem to work." Fae tightens her fist.

"He's broken out in a bad greasy sweat. On top of which, he's got a fever. We need to make him take time off right away." Hikaru informs. Azusa sits up sluggishly.

"I can't. I can't possibly take time off."

"Azusa." Fae said sternly, grabbing his shoulder. Azusa looks at her in surprise, as well as Hikaru.

"You wanted to do a good job for Tsubaki, right?" Azusa perks up at Fae. "This state you're in will never make Tsubaki happy. The performance you'll give will be terrible if you go like this. I'm not having you fail yourself and Tsubaki." Azusa's head bows.

"If it's a project you care about, that's all more the reason." Hikaru adds. "What do you think you're doing if you go in when you're not at your best?"

"But. .."

"Azusa." Hikaru warns.

"Alright." Fae looks over at the clock and panic sets in. She was meant to be at Haruhi's now.