"It might save someone's life": Newt

Requested by andyfowlersgirl_xx

Kaitlin ran through the camp. The safe heaven were waiting until the boat was fixed and able to sail, they said it would be a few days. They had a bunch of new kids from WCKD, they thought Minho was in the compartment but he wasn't. Thankfully Aris was and he assured them he was on the train somewhere, he also told them where WCKD were taking them. "Brenda!" Kaitlin whisper-shouted. "Brenda!" 

Brenda's head lifted and she looked slightly confused, "what-"

"They've gone," Kaitlin said in a panic, "come on we have to help them!"

Brenda took a moment and then it clicked, Thomas. He had gone to the Last City for Minho. "Who else went?" She asked Kaitlin, pulling on her jacket.
Kaitlin followed her, "Newt and Frypan." Brenda sensed hurt in her voice.

"I'll her Jorge," Brenda said, before she left to get him she placed a hand on her shoulder, "they'll be alright, bring the car." Kaitlin always found comfort in Brenda's confidence with everything.

Kaitlin was glad there were no longer speed limits, at least one good thing came out of the flare. "They'll be fine," Brenda continued to say. Kaitlin thought until I get my hands on them. She sat in the back of the truck, gun at the ready, boiling in her anger. "You sure you don't want to sit inside the truck?" Brenda asked as they reached the tunnel.

"Nah, I can get a better shot from up here," Kaitlin said firmly, as she stood up and aimed the gun ahead. She knew that they were in here, they always got stuck in the most dangerous (and stupid) places. Brenda and Jorge exchanged looks, they weren't sure if she was talking about a better shot for cranks or Newt, Thomas and Frypan. "What you waiting for?" Kaitlin asked, kneeling to poke her head through the small window at the back of the truck. She looked back and forth at each other.

"Try not to shoot them," Brenda said.

"Oh. I'll try," Kaitlin replied sarcastically, then cocked the gun as she stood up.

"Great," Brenda whispered to herself. Brenda made sure to remember never to piss Kaitlin off. She guessed there was something more to all of this. Jorge didn't take his time going through the tunnel, Kaitlin had to hold onto the bar which ran along the side of the truck.

Kaitlin suddenly remembered when she road a train.

The train was so full of people that she couldn't move and yet she still managed to sway from side to side. Occasionally the train would jerk to a stop and the passengers would attempt to move further into the middle of the train aisle. No one wanted to be near the window or the doors. Every time the train stopped it meant that there were cranks on the tracks. The overhead tannoy would let out two sharp bursts of what would usually be classed as a fire alarm, "WCKD apologises for the delay, we are working hard to fix this inconvenience. While we do so, we will take the opportunity to run checks. WCKD thanks you for your cooperation."  After the recorded voice had finished the two sharp alarm rings would sound again. That was when the gunfire would begin, inside the train and out. Kaitlin could remember the adults pulling her away from the door as a crank began banging the window.
She could the remember the adults trying to stop the men in all black armour from taking her away. Back then she didn't know what WCKD were. Back then she didn't know why the cranks acted how they had. She always thought that they were just sick, after all, she had grown up around them in the house she lived in. Kaitlin remembered the train ride because it was her first and last.

Kaitlin realised that that was the first memory she had gained since she had been in the Glade. That seemed like a lifetime away. Kaitlin was snapped back to reality as she heard shouting. She knew that voice.