Green Bean: Thomas x Young Sister!Reader (1.1)

Requested by Thomas2921

This one was new for the Gladers. Firstly, they never anticipated the box so early. Second, they never thought there would be a last delivery for anything, including Newbies. But, when Newt opened the box, it was clear there was something different. "Hey there," Newt said softly, looking at the young girl in the corner. She was small, no older than 10, Newt was sure about that. The girl looked around at the Gladers, it was clear to Newt and Thomas she was scared. But, the others continued to chat about her as if she wasn't there. The girl didn't like that. "Can I come down, then I can get you out?" Newt asked, moving to lower himself down. The girl pulled her legs up to her chest, revealing a teddy bear in her hand. "Alright," Newt put his hands up and edged away. He turned to the Gladers, he had no idea what to do now. 

But, Thomas was already ahead of them, "what you go there?" he asked, the girl's eyes lit up at the sound of his voice and she seemed to have an inner conflict accruing. "Is that your teddy bear?" Thomas tried again, dangling his legs over the edge of the box. The girl nodded, she didn't seem fazed by him. Almost like there was something about him that she called home. "Do they have a name?" Thomas asked.

"Sammy," the girl said and that was when the Gladers realised she was younger than they thought. Thomas took this as his queue to jump down. It caused the box to rock and the girl screamed grabbing the cage. 

"It's okay, it's okay," Thomas pulled her into his chest as a sting of guilt passed through his heart. It was clear he had known her before this, he was able to figure that much out. He looked up to the Gladers, as he touched her forehead, "she's burning up." 

"Get her out the box," Newt instructed. 

"Do you want a piggyback ride?" Thomas asked the girl, she nodded. She didn't have much energy left to resist and she did like piggybacks. 

Thomas carried the girl all the way to the med jacks as the Gladers followed close behind. By the time they had got her onto a bed, she had passed out. The fever was raging, something the med jacks hadn't seen before. 

"Well, what's wrong with her?" Thomas asked. 

"I got my way of coming up, same as you," Jeff said. "We'll try to keep her temperature down, but someone has to watch her all the time. I got other jobs to do." 

Newt understood this and nodded in agreement, "I'll do it," Thomas offered quickly. No one argued, after all, he was just promoted from Green Bean and still had no role yet. "Where's her bear?" he asked, looking around frantically. Jeff and the others in this room shrugged, frowning. "She can't sleep without it!" Thomas panicked and it was only after he had left the med jacks and found the bear outside he realised what he had said. 

If it wasn't for the girl, he wouldn't have faced them again so soon. But she needed her bear, she needed her Sammy. "So you know her then?" Newt asked. 

Thomas shrugged, "I don't know. I guess I do." He was expecting more of a reaction but Newt nodded and left him with her. 

Two days had passed and the girl was still asleep. Thomas hadn't moved from her side and had decided to use one of the beds as his own while he watched her. As the third day was on the horizon, Thomas had a dream...

It was before all of this, Thomas knew that much. He guessed he was at home; wherever home was. It was nice, peaceful and bright, but something was missing. Something that would make him sick to his stomach if he ever realised. Something he promised to protect no matter what. His subconscious knew he hadn't kept his promise. Then, the teddy bear, Sammy, sat alone on the sofa. Thomas picked it up, "Thomas! Where's ____ bear!" a woman shouted, though the name distorted itself. 

"Here, mum!" Thomas replied running out the house. The streets turned dark, chaos was unfolding; the world was ending. But, Thomas focused on the small girl clinging to their mother's leg, in her purple woolly hat, scarf and gloves. 

Thomas woke with a fright. He looked over at the girl, noticing now that she had a purple top just like his own. He got to his feet and bushed a piece of hair out of her face. She stirred and Thomas hoped she would wake up soon. He laid back down and closed his eyes. 

"Tommy," a light voice said as a finger tapped his arm lightly, he opened his eyes to find the sun up and the girl standing over him. "Your Tommy," she said. She remembered him, and she knew he remembered her as his eyes teared up. He sat up rapidly, wrapping his arms around her tight. 

"I got you," he whispered, which meant in their language 'I'm sorry'. Thomas pulled away, pushing hair out of her face, "do you remember your name?" The girl thought for a minute, "it's okay if you don't, it'll come to you-"

"y/n," she said. Of course, Thomas thought, bringing her in for another hug. How could he forget her?

Thomas and y/n sat on their beds in the Med Jacks shack talking from when the sun came up until they heard the Gladers walking up. y/n could smell the food and suddenly she was hungry, she hadn't eaten in days. 

"Your awake," Jeff said walking into the shack with Alby, "I'm Jeff, this is Alby."

"Hello, Green bean," he said, bending down slightly. He had never had a Green Bean so young but somehow he knew how to act around children. y/n giggled, "you like that name?" She nodded, "what's your name?" he asked. 

"y/n," she said, but she preferred Green Bean now. She turned and grabbed her bear, "this is Sammy," she said, holding it out for Alby. 

Alby took it, "hello, Sammy. Can I borrow the Green Bean?" he asked the teddy bear. 

"Sammy said yes," y/n replied taking the bear and leaving it on her bed. "Come on, Tommy," she took hold of Thomas' hand as she followed Alby. 

After Alby had explained the rules the best way he could to y/n, they let her pick flowers so Alby and Thomas could talk alone. "So, who is she?" Alby asked, "she's as young as the Gladers said?" 

"She's my sister," Thomas said, "I don't know how she got here- I was supposed to keep her safe."

Alby placed a hand on Thomas' shoulder, "It's okay Thomas, you can keep her safe in here." Thomas wasn't convinced he could, after all, he knew nothing about this place. "Look, try not to think too much, we'll have fun tonight, make sure she settles in like everyone else," Alby said. 

"Tonight?" Thomas questioned. 

"The welcome bonfire," Alby said with a little laugh. "It'll be fun, don't worry!" 

a/n: thanks for reading! these will be in three main parts but then split again. so 1 is Maze Runner. 2 is Scorch Trials and 3 is Death Cure. It's a big request and I thought it would be fun to split it!