Green Bean: Thomas x Young Sister!Reader (1.3)

It had been a long week for them all, it was being to dwell on them all that they might not live to see the months ahead. No one was saying anything, however, because they didn't want to disrespect Alby. Gally wasn't so bothered about that and still pestered Alby and Newt the second he could.

"Is she actually going to be assigned a job?" Gally asked Alby.

"She's a kid," Alby huffed.

"Yeah, we all were once but we grew up," Gally said, "she needs to pull her weight."

"Or what, Gally?" Alby said, turning sharply. "Do you want me to chuck her out in the maze? Is that it?" Alby raised his voice and rubbed his head. Gally gave it some thought, maybe a night in the maze would do her and Thomas a load of good, certainly would do him good; no one survived a night in the maze. Gally crossed his arms. "I'll find her something to do, alright?" Alby huffed.

"Right, fine." Gally looked around with his hands on his hips.

"Now get back to your job," Alby said.

It would have saved Alby the headache if he was able to find y/n. He had looked in the treehouse, the main shack, Frypan's shack but she was nowhere. Until he heard her laugh, she was with Newt and Thomas tending the crops. After all this time Alby was searching for her and she was getting on with helping someone. Alby huffed but not at himself or y/n but at Gally for causing such a pain in Alby's head.

y/n did whatever Thomas was doing and she didn't complain one bit, Newt had told Alby that. So, he should have known better than to listen to Gally. Alby walked away, he was satisfied Newt would be able to handle the rounds of questions the siblings would throw at him. "What about climbing to the top?" Thomas asked.

"The vines don't reach that far," Newt said.

"They look like they do," y/n said.

"Look, whatever you think of, we've already tried. The only way out is through the maze," Newt said.

"Well, let's go then!" y/n said.

"It's not so simple, Green bean," Newt said, bending down, "there are things out there that aren't friendly. The maze is dangerous." y/n thought for a moment, as did Thomas. Newt laughed, even their thinking expression was the same, "look, just get us some fertilizer will you?" Newt asked, throwing the bucket to Thomas.

Thomas mumbled something, clearly unhappy about the task but y/n bounced off in front of him leading the way into the woods. "Tommy!" y/n screamed, Thomas dropped the bucket and sprinted towards the sound of her voice. 

"y/n!" he shouted as he did so, making sure he wouldn't lose her voice and to let her know he was on his way. He found Ben holding y/n up by the neck. "Oi!" Thomas shouted, catching Ben's attention. Ben dropped y/n and started towards Thomas. Anyone else would have hesitated when seeing their sister like that but Thomas was brave. When they reunited, Thomas made a promise to himself that he would protect her no matter what. Even if it meant losing his own life. His life was nothing if y/n wasn't in it. 

Ben jumped on Thomas, screaming "you did this," over and over. His fingers digging into his wrists until they pierced the skin. y/n held her throat and coughed; everything was happening so fast. But, she got to her feet, jumping on Ben's back and clawed at his face. 

She screamed a battle cry and tears started running down her face as she realised Ben wasn't giving up. Thomas reached around the floor, finding a rock and took his shot. Thomas hit Ben over the head hard, throwing Ben off him. Thomas got to his feet quickly, pulling y/n into his arms and began running. 

y/n shut her eyes, she didn't want to see Ben gaining on them. She feared she would lose Thomas, so she shut the world out. 

It wasn't until Newt came into the Medjacks hut that y/n dared to open her eyes. "Greenbean?" Newt said softly, kneeling on the floor in front of y/n. "We gotta get you patched up, can you show me where he hurt you?" Newt asked, brushing some of her hair from her face.