Keepsake: Newt

They had escaped from W.C.K.D's grasp once again and this time they hoped it was for good. They had heard of hope in the mountains and they were making a B-line for it. Though they were fooling themselves if they thought it was going to be easy.

"Are your feet burning?" Gus asked Teresa, she was walking barefooted through the sand.

"I'm fine," she mumbled, rubbing the back of her neck and walking further ahead. Gus didn't want to take it personally, after all, he guessed they had been playing with her head as they had all the Gladers.

Gus looked away, catching Newts gaze. They smiled at each other and Newt looked away blushing slightly. Gus and Newt had always had a special relationship, they bonded instantly in the Glade and both served as a rock for each other.

I felt like I was being sucked through a vacuum. There was a loud wracking noise and my rational mind knew I was moving up, yet I couldn't comprehend this. I got to my feet, bashing the top of the cage, but fell as it came to a sharp stop. Then, a low harsh drone of an alarm. The alarm distracted me from my head, at some point in the fall I had bashed it on something else.

The doors opened and the sun light filled the cage. I strained my eyes, it was so bright and natural, something I somehow knew I wasn't used to. "Get the med-jacks! He's hurt!" A boy shouted. Suddenly I was aware of my head, it was pounding. I reached up as the boy lowered himself into the cage. "No, no, don't touch, we'll get you fixed," he said. I looked to the boy, he was fairly clean and he had dark hair, "my names Alby. Welcome home," he smiled a pearly smile.

Gus was pulled back to his reality when the Gladers began shouting, "Teresa! Wait!!" Thomas ran after her first. She had found cover, she jumped into the open window, soon followed by the rest of them. They took off their scarves and took a breath, their first breath which wasn't filled with sand. It was also the first sigh of relief to stand still even just for a moment.

"Newt, I don't like this," Gus whispered to him, he didn't want Thomas or Teresa hearing him say that. Gus knew Thomas would defend Teresa to his last breath.

Newt caught Gus' eyes, he stepped closer taking Gus' hand lightly. But, first, let his fingertips brush down his arm. "I don't like either, but..." Newt trailed off and dropped his voice lower, "I won't let anything happen to us." Gus let out a sigh as Newt's eyes wore him down. Gus nodded and followed them as they made their way through the derelict building.

 Teresa was focused on finding shoes and they got more than they bargained for. There was plenty of supplies, clothes and shoes for them all but no one else around. The Gladers were on edge, this wasn't right. Where did everyone go? "What happened here?" Newt wondered aloud, picking up a photograph. 

"I told you something wasn't right," Gus said, turning to face the others, "we should keep moving. It's too dark and quiet in here."

"Scared of the dark?" Aris asked though he didn't mean it to come out in a mocking tone. 

I was given a bed, food and water. It was all I wanted, I wanted to drop to sleep and wake up from the nightmare. As night fell and the churning of the maze doors closing and changing it was time for lights out. There were no more than ten of us under the hut, the others dropped to sleep easily. I couldn't sleep, no matter how much my eyes stung and I felt my body shutting down. 

I sat up, looking ahead. I couldn't make out anything in my new home. Someone stirred next to me, I was put next to Newt. He was kind, too kind for this place and my heart hurt thinking how long we could be trapped here. "Alright, Gus?" he asked in a low light voice, making sure not to wake anyone up. He was the only one to call me by my name since I got here today.