Chapter 68

What are little girls made of? "Sugar and spice, and all that's nice; and that's what little girls are made of."

Elizabeth was taught by Madam Red that a lady should always be delicate and lovely before a gentleman. An innocent girl first and foremost. She believed that her job is to be surrounded by all things nice like Mother Goose's nursery rhyme says and to keep smiling.

Poetry over philosophy. Embroidery over cooking. Dancing over chess. Be an angel who knows nothing. That is how girls born into a nation of roses are raised.

However, Elizabeth stood out from the other girls in one part of her life. Ever since a young age, she was rumoured to be a genius with swords. Her mother taught Ciel fencing sometimes when they visited his home. The one thing can clearly remember from a visit were these words.

"If my wife was that strong, I think I would be frightened of her."

From then on, Elizabeth vowed to become a bride that Ciel could protect. But that was cut short when the Phantomhive family died. When Ciel returned back with a butler in black, she was overjoyed. Until she realized that he wasn't growing and she was. And she made another vow that she would become a bride that could protect Ciel. She refrained from wearing heeled shoes other girls her age would wear to help Ciel feel more mature.

However, she noticed Ciel start to act more of his age when someone else came into both hers and his life. A girl with red hair and chilling grey eyes that are mistaken for blue. She radiated a mature but childish nature around others and always smiled, even in the worst situations. Elizabeth was surprised of how quick she was to jump in and try to save her from a bear and to help find a present for Ciel's birthday. Her mother mentioned her in a couple conversations, one about how she could be a possible fiancée for her brother, Edward. Another was how she stood out from society in many ways. Such as the way she dresses and how she treats everyone. What Elizabeth mainly noticed about her friend is the solemn, distant look in her eyes.

Elizabeth made another promise to make sure she would stay safe. Always.

Low-heeled shoes. Mother's lessons. Swords with which to protect you., Elizabeth thought as she decapitated four more corpses.

That...is what I am made of.

Looking to the side in a glare, she charged at the red reaper with her sword.

I'm fine with not being cute if it means I can protect you!!, was her only thought before her sword was caught by the blade by a certain butler in black.

"My lady. You have done enough..." he spoke calmly.

"Sebas...tian?" Elizabeth questioned.

"To have forced a lady to go to such lengths as these...I am a failure as a butler. Please forgive me." He bowed in apology. "I shall handle the rest..."