•Chapter 31: You•

YA'LL BEFORE I START, I JUST NEED TO KNOW WHAT YOUR NATIONALITY IS.

THIS ISN'T 'JUST FOR FUN'. I'M TRYING TO PROVE A POINT TO MY FRIEND SO I HOPE YA'LL WOULD ANSWER ME :))

Clementine's POV:
Something bright flashed infront of me and the first thung that came to my mind was, am I in heaven... wait, no. I doubt that I'll ever enter heaven.

After arguing with my own thoughts, I finally opened my eyes and I was greeted by a bright sunlight which almost blinded the hell out of me. I squinted my eyes and looked around to find everything still in its place.

I stretched my arms and yawned, trying to get comfortable with my own body since I feel pain everywhere. This is what I get after sleeping on a cold floor with nothing to eat.

Nevermind that, I'll get by. I finally stood up and rubbed my eyes, trying to get a clear vision then I started heading towards the stairs and walked down. As I reached my backpack, I heard footsteps outside the house which alarmed me and I quickly but stealthily, ran towards the kitchen. I readied my knife in my hand and waited for the intruder to enter the house but they never came. They tried to push the door open, but obviously, I blocked it with couch last night. After several attempts, I heard them kick the door open and the knob of the door flew all the way to the entrance of the kitchen.

I heard their footsteps inside the living room, one walking upstairs and the other one walking around the living room but then they stopped and I heard them sit at the couch. I heard the other person walk down the stairs and I assumed the one laying on the couch talked to him, asking him if he saw anything and the other one replied with a 'no'. His voice sounded young and really familiar as well but I just can't quite put my finger on it.

Just when I was about to grab my gun, I heard footsteps coming towards the kitchen, my first instinct was to hide in a cabinet but then I also realised that it would be a little cliché because that's where people would usually hide. Plus, opening that cabinet would make some noise so I highly doubt that I'm ever gonna be safe.

But then again, who cares?

I felt my fingers carefully reaching the barrel of my gun and slowly taking a grasp of it, once I heard the footsteps getting closer and closer, I stood up from my crouching position and the person walked in, only for him to be surprised.

But seriously, I'm not gonna lie, I'm as shocked as he is.

"You?"

———
Gabe's POV:
(A week after Clementine left)
Inhale

Exhale

Inhale

Exhale

Then... shoot!

I pulled the trigger for the 10th time and like the other 9 failed attempts, I still failed to shoot the can sitting atleast 10 feet away from me.

I'm so frustrated right now. I used to shoot better, back when... she was here. But what the hell ever happened to me? Why am I feeling like this for the past 7 days? I haven't eaten much, but there's loads of food back at our house, I get enough sleep and I'm 90% sure that I'm safe in here. But then again, I can never be too sure.

I sighed as I shook my head and reloaded my gun. Literally, all I'm doing out here is wasting bullets. Though there are other people in here who make bullets and some scavenge them, still it's a waste of resource and time.

"What happened to you, Gabe?" My uncle Javi asked. He was the first one who noticed that I wasn't really being myself lately. I don't talk much like I used to, I don't socialize with other kids my age in here because really, they just annoy the hell out of me and I'm not as jolly as I used to. With the lost of my sister, disappearance of my father and Clementine leaving, I think it pretty much says alot why I'm not like myself lately.

Pulling myself out of my thoughts, I replied with a shrug while still reloading my gun and not looking at him and said, "I don't know. I'm just feeling lazy these past few days I think."

"Feeling lazy or you still haven't moved on about Clementine leaving?" He asked with his arms crossed over his chest and with that stupid sly smirk he always wears when we talk about Clementine.

At first, it was just fairly annoying, but now, it's actually pissing me off when we talk about her. I miss her, but I'm pissed off when people talk to me about her. I don't know, I don't understand anymore.

I didn't gave him a reply, all he got was silence and immediately, he responsed with an 'oooohhhh'

"Someone's missing somebody." He teased.

"Can you please please please stop talking? I really don't want to shoot you." I replied.

"You should worry more about accidentally shooting yourself, buddy." He replied and patted my shoulder which I shrugged off.

I put down the reloaded gun on the wooden table and messed with my hair. Oh and by the way, I'm not wearing my beanie anymore, I lost it 3 days ago and I'm not really in the mood to look for it ever.

"I'm gonna take a break. I'll be back later." I said with not much emotion in my voice and walked away from the shooting range.

I heard him shout something to me, but I was so far away, I could hardly hear anything he said. I just shrugged off whatever he just said and walked to wherever my legs would take me.

———
After minutes of walking, I came to a familliar place which only irritated me for some reason but since I'm here already, I should atleast relax and clear my mind.

I started walking towards the swingset and sat down on one of its seats. I slowly pushed myself back and forth, with my feet still on the ground.

While watching my own feet do my slow movement, my mind suddenly drifted off to what would've happened if things aren't like it is. What if everything was still normal and my abuelo is still alive right now. What if we're still back at our house? What if Mariana is still alive? What would've happened?

What would've happened if I never met Clementine?

Maybe I'd still have this really confusing feelings but not with her anymore. Though I like the fact that she makes me feel warm inside, it still is weird for me. I never felt like this towards anyone.

What the hell Gabe, get your head out of the clouds, tonto estúpido!

I sighed and shook my head. She makes me feel so weird that it's nice but then again, she's just so confusing. One moment she's all happy and jolly and childish, the next she's serious and shuts everyone out even me. I don't get her, but I'd like to.

Like what I always said before, I want to protect her. I need to protect her, but how can I protect someone who doesn't want to be protected? How can I save someone who doesn't want to be saved? How can I love someone who can't love me as much as I love them?

The decision is made. I'm probably, possibly might never see her again. So for what it's worth and for my own sake, I need to get rid of these feelings I built for her. I need to pull myself back to reality. I need to be strong. I need to change.

As I got up from the swing, I heard a small feminine voice call my name making me look at the person calling me. I looked behind me and saw a familliar blonde haired teen, the one we met years ago when Mariana was still alive. She's here, but how? She's back.

"Hey Gabe." She said, now infront of me, slightly looking up at me since she's 3 inches shorter than me.

"Hey Lizzie. Nice to see you again."