Will's Story ~1

Începe de la început

"Hey- I enjoy swinging every which way- I'm young. You're as tied down as a married old man."

I can't help but grin. "You're an asshole you know."

"Hey- you were the one who was shaming my lifestyle."

I stare down at my empty bottle, the buzz no longer running through my body. All my worries suddenly slam back at me, forcing the breathe out of my body. My grades dropping, Mom's sick, Cira never talks to me- football. Caden's expression grows worried as he watches me suddenly stand up and leave the room.

But I don't know how to explain to him that I'm suffocating.

...

9/15/20 1:30 pm

Hangovers fucking suck. But getting over a hangover by working out sucks even more.

My entire body feels sluggish, my arms are heavy to move, my legs trudge along behind me- and my heads pounding. Plus my football uniform isn't exactly helping.

A defensive lineman tackles into my side, and my helmet hits the turf hard. The footballs been thrusted far away from my hand, and my teams staring at me with bored expressions etched on their faces. We've been through this play so, so many times- and I keep fucking it up.

My head Coach, Burke- throws his clipboard against the ground in defeat with a loud groan.

I pull of my helmet, my hair plastered against my forehead from sweat. The suns beating down against our football stadium, and I'm panting from exhaustion. Our stadiums been nicknamed the Death Valley, and now I understand why.

"How many fucking times are you gonna mess up." Coach Burke yells from across the field. He marches over, his normally pale round face red from frustration.

"I'm sorry-" I muster pulling myself up the ground.

"-bullshit. I don't want your apologies- I want you to get on the field next week and play your ass off- because if we don't win, you'll be sitting on the bench for the rest of the season."

An assistant coach blows a whistle and the rest of my team trudges off to the lockers flashing me sympathetic looks.

"Sorry-" Coach Burke says after a moment, running a hand across his sweaty forehead. "I didn't mean to explode- I just know you play better than this."

"I know." I reply, unable to look him in the eye. "I'll be better. I promise I won't let you down."

"No Will." Coach says pulling off his baseball cap. "It's not about me. It's about you. It's about not letting yourself down. Do you know how many college players make it to the nfl?"

I shake my head.

"Only 5.8 percent." Coach says softly. "Will you made it all the way here, on a scholarship, are you really gonna let everything you've worked for go down the drain. After leading us to last years victory?"

"No." I murmur, trying to make my voice as confident as I can manage.

"No, so stop fucking around Will." Coach Burke says. "Give this sport your all, or nothing."

"Yes, coach."

"And Will." Coach clears his throat. "Have you caught up with our CAPS program yet? Dr.Raquel wanted you to stop by."

I shift uncomfortably. Right. Clemsons University's counseling and psychological program. They know about my past eating disorder but I hadn't bothered seeing them this year. What was the point? I was fine now, I just wanted to leave everything in the past.

"No, but um, I'll see to it."

"Good."

Another assistant coach, Mathews approaches Coach Burke, and he leaves me alone- bantering about something I'm not focused enough to listen too.

I'm left alone in a massive stadium. The Death Valley. It can fit 81,500 people, and when everyones above chanting down at me- theres nothing more exhilarating. It gives me a sense of purpose, a surge- and it's everything. But now, staring at all the empty seats, I've never felt so alone.

...

9/15/20 4:23 pm

"Mom?"

"Hey babe" My mom replies, her voice soft and quiet through the phone. "How are you?"

"Me, I'm fine." I say quickly, "How are you?"

My mom's quiet for a moment and my heart drops. "The doctors found some abnormal swelling, but they're not sure if it's a tumor yet."

"Oh." I hear myself say.

"They're gonna do some scans- but I don't want you to worry." My mom says carefully.

"Can I drive up to see you?"

"No, Will. You have school. Dad's coming with me. It's going to be okay."

I lean back into my spinny chair and sigh. "I love you mom."

"I love you too. I'll call you later okay?"

"Mhm."

I hear the call end, and set my phone back down. What if my mom does have cancer? What than? My fingers itch to text Cira- so I can tell her how worried, how stressed out I am. But chances are she's busy as usual.

My door room busts open as Caden walks in cradling a bag of subway sandwiches and sodas, with a huge smile etched on his face.

"Hey man- I got you a turkey-"

"I'm not hungry." I snap back. I instantly regret it as I watch Cadens face fall.

"We have strength conditioning at 6, we have to get our strength up."

"I already ate."

I didn't, but my stomachs to unsettled. I can't possibly have an appetite after what I heard.

Caden sets down our sandwiches on my bed with furrowed brows. "Are you okay?" Caden asks cracking open a soda.

"It's- it's my mom." I whisper.

Cadens eyes widen. Caden loves my mom, they're best friends- and he's been just as nervous as I've been. "Is she okay?"

"I don't know." I respond massaging my temple. My headache kills right now.

I don't know anything anymore.

...

Hey Readers,

Hope you enjoyed part 1 of Will's Story!

I wanna hear what you have to say! Leave a comment if you loved it, hated it, which characters you're vibing with, and which ones you loathe so far.

Also do you think Cira's being distant, and if you do- do you blame her?

Thanks so much for reading, you're support means the world xo