•Epilogue 3•

Will Moore & Cira Castello

Will Moore

In the darkness, I can still see where the world ends.

The careless crash of waves send vibrations down my spine, and the constant echo soothes my mind in a way only the ocean has ever been able to do. It's as if the salty air holds a remedy to all my problems, a drug that makes my worries disappear.

I'm staring so deeply into the horizon I don't notice footsteps behind me, soft pats in the dense sand under my feet.

"Hey."

My eyes reluctantly tear away from the ocean and land on Maria, whose face looks worried and unsure. She bites her lips as she walks closer. She stops next to me but says nothing more. We stay quiet for a moment.

"Maria-"

"Yes?" Her eyes widen, and she brushes a lock of curly hair off her face.

I clear my throat and stare down at my hands. "I- we need to break up."

I don't know what I'm expecting. Maybe some shouting, tears, maybe Maria leaving without a word, but she just stays and grabs my arm with her gentle fingers, and rests her head on my shoulder.

"I know."

I hear a rumble of thunder, as the dark sky above us grows to a deeper shade of blue.

"You love her." She says, her voice clear of anger. "Cira."

I don't say anything, too ashamed. Maria had been perfect, but I had spent months searching for something from her. Maria tried to be enough- I tried to make her enough- but she would never be Cira.

Cira didn't fix me. Her kiss didn't mend my broken body, didn't heal my eating disorder. But knowing she loved me when I didn't love myself gave me hope. She was the calm in my storm. My life was a raging hurricane, but she held on so tightly. She was there until my storms passed. She was there when they started again.

I needed her.

...

Cira Castello

I'm boarding my backpack into Henry's car. We're driving back home together, and my stomach cannot stop clenching with nerves. I feel like I'm gonna be sick. It's been a day since I kissed Will, and I haven't stopped feeling so sick. So horrible.