Pavane of the Jellys

Your silver scales shine in the weak rays of sun that penetrate the shallow waters. You waltz with the gleaming mass made of your brothers and sisters. The school makes a swish to the right, and a spin to the left, playing in the glorious tide. But, the next one-two count holds no joy. Instead, you spin straight into It's face. It, a quivering pile of semi-translucent skin. It, a blob with long, writhing fingers attached to it. It, the Jellyfish.

Your school darts in panic as the dance becomes a frantic tango. You know that you are faster than the Jellyfish, but there could always be more. More! More of the killers, more of the devastators, more of the Jellyfish. So, you flash this way with a skip-hop, and do a fancy corrida as you make good your escape. The frantic pace calms a little, but your waltz now is alert. It becomes more of a cha-cha, as you all try to catch up with the calm that It has chased away.

But alas! It is here again! You see it on the edge of your school, lurking like fog lurks over valleys. It is slow, but it is stubborn. Run! Run! You turn abruptly, breaking off mid-twist, and flit away from It! Your family follows immediately, so trusting are they in any member of the school. You catch sight of another set of tentacles on the other side of your school, and you whirl in a frenetic frenzy through both Jellyfish. You speed into a joyless jive, wheeling and diving over and under one another in a hurry to escape the Jellyfish. Tails begin to obscure your vision as your school mates overtake you; fins press against your fins and make it hard to move. Your partners windmill past you as you try desperately to keep up. Suddenly, your schoolmates are backpedalling, speeding past you in a flustered cluster. For a moment you are dazzled by their bright blaze, then you are left alone to face It. It is not the only one, though. It has become They, and now you see what caused you school's sudden reversal. It is They who have caused it. The Jellyfish.

They began to bob slowly towards you, performing a sluggish minuet of death. You try to escape towards the bottom, but a pink body blocks your path. As you turn towards the ceiling of the sea, It's fatal strings drift by. The light begins to filter away as the Jellyfish beings to sink towards you. Briefly, you feel a slight shock, then nothing at all. The dance has reached its end.