Chapter 14 | Puppy Blues

I feel exhausted and I'm trying to figure out what all I need for my dorm room and I'm just stuck  

Vic's POV

It had been about a week since I had actually spoken to Kellin. After his breakdown at the club he seemed to be more distant than usual. That's why when my phone dinged with a notification I was sort of shocked to see that it was from Kellin.

Hey Vic, I was wondering if you maybe wanted to hang out or something?

I chuckled lightly at myself because of the childlike excitement that I was feeling. This upped my spirits some because I had this doubt in the back of my mind that he actually wanted nothing to do with me but it seems I may have been wrong about that.

I glanced up at the clock hanging against the dark wall in my office and considered taking the rest of the day off. I had three hours of work left and I hardly ever missed. It should be okay, at least just this once. I quickly hurried with the paperwork I had been working on and gathered my bag and suit jacket before walking out of my office. I stopped by my assistants desk and politely asked her if she could send the paper work in for me and then informed her I was taking the rest of the day off. She simply nodded and gave me a happy goodbye. As I was walking out the door I texted Kellin I would be at his place in twenty minutes to pick him up. Once I got to my car I put my things in the back seat and then rolled the sleeves of my white button down shirt up and slipped my tie off. Now that I was at least somewhat comfortable in my work attire, I fastened my seatbelt and then pulled out of the parking lot, headed towards Kellin's.

Kellin was sitting on the edge of the sidewalk and once he noticed my car he stood up and waved at me, a small smile on his face. He was quick to jump in the car and lean his head back on the head rest of the seat, letting out a breath of air.
"Hi." He spoke quietly.
"Hey there." I said with a slight smirk on my face that he just shook his head at. "So where are we going?" I asked and started the car back up.
"Well I figured we could go downtown where they've still got some of the fair rides set up and I don't know, walk around or something?" He said kind of nervously. "Actually I guess that's kind of stupid and childish. Maybe we should just go get something to eat at a diner or something." He began to ramble.
"I like the idea of the fair." I said and shrugged. "Stupid and childish is always a great combination."
"You really want to?" He said and his face lit up.
"Totally."

~

It was dark now and Kellin and I were surrounded by colorful lights coming from the rides and the games that offered you a chance to win oversized stuffed animals, which is what I was currently doing. All night I had noticed Kellin glancing at this blue puppy that was hanging from the wall of the ring toss game. So I took matters in my own hands and I had lost about fifteen dollars so far.

Kellin was at my side and was trying to quiet his laughs as I once again failed to get the small ring to land around the neck of a bottle. I grunted in frustration before handing the guy some more cash. I was going to do it this time. All I had to do was land four of the five rings to win that puppy. That's all I had to do. I tossed the first ring and it landed with ease around the neck of a bottle. The second and the third seemed to come as easily as the first one and I got a confidence boost. I was going to do this. I threw the fourth ring out of my hand, just barely missing the neck of the bottle, causing it to instead fall down between them. I took a breath and tried to concentrate. I only had one ring left and I was going to do this. I had to. I breathed out again and sent the ring flying towards the bottles. It hit the top of a bottle, standing upright on its side for a moment, before falling and landing around the neck of the bottle next to it.

"Fuck yeah!" I couldn't help but scream. I danced around as the over exhausted looking game worker asked me which prize I wanted. I pointed to the blue puppy and once it was in my hands I turned to Kellin.
"For you my lady." I said and bowed stupidly. He rolled his eyes at me and snatched the puppy from my fingers. He looked at it and his faced filled with a happy look that I hadn't seen on him before.
"Thanks Vic." He said quietly, before leaning up and kissing me on the cheek. I grinned stupidly and nodded my head.
"No need to thank me."

We walked around the different rides a few more times occasionally riding one or two. I kept a ramble of conversation going with Kellin, absolutely loving when he would seems to take control of the conversation for a few minutes before reverting back into his own thoughts. Ever since I had won him the stuffed animal he had kind of closed up on me. It was kind of troubling but I didn't let it get to me too much, he was still here with me and he was still talking to me, and that's all I could ask for.

It was nearing 12 and the workers were starting to close up the various games and rides. Kellin glanced around and then looked at me thoughtfully for a moment before asking me if we could ride the Ferris wheel. I, of course, agreed and grabbed his hand so I could pull him to the ride with me, but as we stood in line our hands didn't let go and I found myself  smiling at the fact.

We stepped into a brightly colored seat and the attendant make sure we were latched in properly. We were about halfway around the wheel when I noticed that Kellin was just staring out of the cart and looked to be intensely thinking about something.
"Kellin?" I said, grabbing his attention as he turned towards me. "Are you okay?" I asked and he nodded his head.
"Are you sure? You kind of checked out tonight after I won you the stuffed animal." I said and scratched the back of my head.

He looked at me a moment before shaking his head. "I'm just confused."
"About what?" I pressed.
"You."
I gave him a quizzical look. "What about me?"
"You're just way too nice to me Vic. Nicer than anyone else has been in a long while. It doesn't even seem to faze you that I'm some whore an-"
"Kellin you're not a whore."
"Let me finish." He said cutting me off. "It didn't even seem to faze you and you still wanted to hang around me and you still wanted to be friends with me. I couldn't ask for anything better than you and that's the problem. We're friends right?"
"You should know that by now."
"Exactly we're friends and I'm so afraid I'm going to screw this up."
"How would you screw this up Kellin?" I asked him. "There's no way I could see this ending up screwed."
"You may not see it but I do. Because, fuck it," he sighed. "I'm having a really hard time not kissing you right now. I know if I kiss you I'll instantly ruin this weird friendship we have and th-" I didn't let him get another word out I just pulled him to me and kissed him.