Chapter 6 | Music Brings People Together

It's like 10 something and I'm really freaking tired but I can't sleep. I have the overwhelming sense of like unsettledness and like paranoia and it's cold. 

Also I'm fixing a baked potato in the microwave because first off my papaw won't let me use the stove while my grandmothers sick (even though I've been cooking full meals since I was like ten or younger cause my mom left and my dad wouldn't do it) and second of all I'm being forced to eat. Like some days I just don't want to but geez I got yelled at soooo potato here we come. I actually love them, a lot.

Vic's POV

"This is the best food I've had all day." Mike groaned and dug into the food scattered across his plate.
"Ya know it may help if you actually get any of it into your mouth." I told him with a slight chuckle as I watched pieces of food drop off the fork.
"Fuck off I'm starving." He said and flipped me the bird, causing a mother of two bratty children, who had been watching Mike eat like a caveman, to gasp.  He looked at the woman and smiled trough a mouthful of food. The woman scoffed again and got up to leave.

"Mikey be nice." I said and swatted him on the head.  He just rolled his eyes and continued to eat. I was already finished with my plate and I was just waiting on Mike to finish. After work I had called him asked if he wanted to grab a bite since I didn't have any plans and a little sibling time never hurt anyone.

Finally Mike finished his enormous plate of food and after I paid we left to go to the mall. I had a computer part waiting for me at the electronics store and I wanted to make a quick stop by the music store. Mike was just along for the ride. It didn't take me long in the electronics place. The part was already sitting out and the workers were extremely efficient in showing me how to replace the old part. I thanked them and soon was heading towards the music store.

As I opened the doors the smell of musk hit me hard just like it always did. The smell of the shop still hadn't changed since I was younger. Mike and I used to come here all the time and hang out for hours after school. We'd even help Mark restock cds and organize the records. We'd sit and listen to him for hours, as he told us stories about his old band and all the fun times they had. It was a place I always enjoyed coming and I wished I had more time to stop by.

Mike immediately went into the employee only area to look for Mark, while I headed towards the back of the store near the old boxes of records. I hummed along to the song playing from the speakers as I flipped through them. Nothing was particularly catching my eye so turned away from the box I was looking at. My original plan had been to find Mike, but I wound up on the floor instead.

"I'm so sorry!" I heard a voice squeak and a hand frantically reached for mine and tried to pull me up. Once I was standing firmly on the ground, I brushed my clothes off and looked up. My eyes widened and the raven haired boy's jaw dropped.
"I-I...." It was obvious he recognized me and I couldn't help but chuckle lightly. "I-I'm sorry."
"No worries." I said and flashed him a smile. "I wouldn't mind running into you anywhere." I gave him a little wink and he shook his head before leaning close to me.

"Listen I'm not at work. I keep that separate from my life so please if you want something wait until I'm working." He said and I gave him a confused look.
"That's not what I meant at all." I held up my hands. "I was simply trying to lighten the mood."
"Well..I just...okay." He sighed. "And what are you doing here anyway?" He crossed his arms over his chest and leant up against the nearby shelf.

To be honest it was surprising to see him out of the usual attire I see him in. He was wearing a pair of dark skinny jeans along with a black t-shirt and green flannel. I looked from his beaten up converse back to his blue eyes to see him staring at me.
"Umm."
"I said what are you doing here." He chuckled and ran a hand through his hair.
"Oh just scanning for records." I shrugged.
"Hmmm you into music?"
"Who isn't?" I raised an eyebrow he just shrugged his shoulders and we were left in a slightly awkward silence.

"Vic!" I heard Mike yell out and soon he was back beside of me. "Can we go to that new frozen yogurt place on the way back. It's supposed to be super great. Mark was telling me about it." He said in one breath, hoping from foot to foot like a small child.
"Yea Mike whatever." I agreed.
"Let's go then!" He said but I held a finger up.

"Quinn would you wanna come with us?" I asked hopefully. He looked from me to Mike and then down at the ground. "Come on it'll be fun." I encouraged.
"Sure." He said nodding his head.
"Awesome. Come on the Quinn."
"Kellin."
"Huh?"
"My name is Kellin." He said quietly and I smiled.
"Kellin." I said testing to see how it rolled off my tongue. "I like it. I'm Vic."
"I know." He said and gestured to the door. "The yogurt won't eat itself."

I nodded and we filed out of the store. We were a few stores away from the shop when Mike stopped and turned to Kellin.
"You're the guy my brother likes to fuck right?"
"Mike!" I felt my cheeks heat up and I mentally face palmed.