26-Years Forward (10k Bonus Chapter)

3 years later

Ritsu's POV

I stared at Kiro, "You want to be part of the syndicate?"

He nodded, "Yeah. Mom used to and dad is."

I sighed, "Kiro, I'm almost certain your mom wanted to keep you out of this. It can be dangerous."

He said, "But Uncle, Jono (Ritsu's son) is only 14 and you're teaching him. I'm 18."

I said, "Kiro, your mom was known as miss break-in."

He looked at me confused, "Okay?"

I smiled gently, "She could get into any place she wanted to be. That's how she was. She was a lock picker. Now, that may have been what she has done. Yet Kiro, there's lots more than that."

Kiro said, "But mom said you could protect her and us. But I want to be able to protect Kiah myself. And whenever I find someone, I want to be able to protect them."

--memory--

Kaya smiled with her hair up in a ponytail. She was a tiny 8-year-old. She joked, "Ritsu, I'm the protector."

I said, "No, I am Kaya. I'm your big brother."

She rolled her eyes then yelled so she sounded normal, "I'll protect who I love too!"

--end memory--

I sighed, "Kiro, she would want you safe. Right now you can go to college. You're smart. I believe that's what Kaya would've wanted for you. I know and she knew that this lifestyle isn't safe. But it's how your dad and I live. Not how you or Kiah have to."

-----
Kiah's POV (3 years later)

It's been six years since mom passed. And today Kiro and I turn 21. But what's there to be said about it? I never should have been so mean to mom. I miss her.

I brushed my hair and looked in the mirror. Although I had dad's brown hair I had mom's green eyes. I let out a gentle sigh as I walked downstairs placing a hand on my belly.

I heard the doorbell ring and opened it to see Kiro. He grinned, "So what're you doing?" You look exactly like dad does in pictures from when he and mom were married.

I said, "Not much."

He placed a hand on my stomach, "And the baby?"

I giggled, "Sleepy."

We went into the kitchen. Kiro rolled his eyes, "So, where's Rin?"

I said, "He'll be down here any minute." As I said that the door opened and I stared at him. His blonde hair and brown eyes exactly like his parents. Tamaki and Haruhi were close with mom and dad too.

Rin said, "Morning."

Kiro said, "Speak of the devil."

Rin shook his head no, "Kiro, everything is fine."

Kiro said, "Well you better take care of the baby."

--months later--

I laid in the bed staring down at the babies. I saw the baby girl with red hair and green eyes. The baby girl with brown hair and blue/violet eyes. Then the boy with blonde hair and green eyes. How in the world am I supposed to handle this?

Rin patted me on my back, "Babe, I just got back from talking to the nurse."

I said, "Alright, what was it?"

He walked over to our red-headed girl, "Our youngest girl."

I walked over and stared into the crib-like thing, "Yeah she's small. Well, she's kind of tiny."

Rin gently touched her cheek, "Kiah... She had complications."

I said, "Complications?"

He said, "She's missing half her vocal cords. And her heart was 'misshaped' from the ultrasound of her organs, they said. They think her heart is somewhat okay. It seems like one area was bigger. Like something made it that way."

I mumbled, "Huh? That's like my mom."

Rin said, "Then let's name her after your mom. Kaya right?"

I nodded, "Yeah." Then we chose our other girl would be Kita and our boy Kaito. But why is Kaya like mom? What really happened here?

---5 years later---

I watched the kids run around talking and playing. Kaya talks as softly as mom did. Kaya wandered up to me. I said, "What's the matter?"

Kaya said, "No matter what I love you. I've alwayz loved you. Zo don't worryz the past is that for rezons."

Then she dashed off to go back to her siblings. I was left in silent shock. Why would she say something like that? Is she actually mom? I sighed, "I should see dad soon. Maybe he would know."

--next week--

I sat across from dad. Dad gently smiled at me, "I'm happy to see you, Kiah."

I said, "Yeah same dad. But I have to know... Did mom always love me?"

Dad held a faint smile, "Although it's been 12 years you didn't ask till now... Well, I still remember that night."

Dad now held a sad smile, "She told me, "Hey babe remember this. I will always love you, Kiro, Kiah, Ritsu, and even the guys." I've never forgotten that she said that. Your mom adored you and your brother. She loved you guys more than she did herself."

Dad gently sighed, "You've got kids now so you must know the feeling. Kiro will soon when his wife, Ootori, you know gives birth. Cause I worked to provide for my family while she took care of you two."

A/n: (12/8/18) Years forward was the idea that although Kaya is gone she's never truly gone. She still loves Tetsuya and her kids. But in the end, she was just too sick. Kiah's child Kaya is supposed to be able to say Kaya's (Kiah's mom's) message to her. There may be further explanations in author's insights eventually but as for now, this is the end set. Kaya always loved her family and friends.

Originally Posted: December 8, 2018
Most Recently Updated: March 12, 2021