Chapter 41

TW‼️: SI, Depression, suicide, child harm

EVERYONE ANXIOUSLY AWAITED THE grounder attack

It had been two days with no sign of them. But that didn't mean that we let our guard down. I spent most of the day either on patrol, helping Raven make bullets or going on hunts with Bellamy.

At night, I would sneak off to meet with Taron for our fighting lessons, although he mainly taught me how to block attacks. I had gotten a total of six hours of sleep in the past few days combined.

"Katherine!"

I turn around at the sound of Bellamy's voice.

He walks over to me, his gun swung over his shoulder by the thick strap. It was very early in the morning, most the campers were still asleep. My throat bobs in panic that Bellamy would think it was suspicious that I was even up this early. The only reason I was up was because I had just come from a practice session with Taron. And I doubt that Bellamy would like the grounder.

His brown eyes watch me closely with intrigue. My stomach does a small flip at how intensely he made eye contact with me. "What are you doing awake?" He asks, coming to stand before me.

"Couldn't sleep." I lie, feeling an ounce of guilt for lying to him.

Bellamy frowns, his eyebrows pulling together in what I thought was concern. "If you're tired when the grounders come then how do you expect to fight?"
I open my mouth to answer but Bellamy interrupts me before I could. "I told you when you couldn't sleep you could just find me."

I stare at him with blank confusion. He huffs, chuckling lightly. "I forgot you were drunk out of your mind when I told you that."

His smile causes another flutter in my stomach. "Well, good to know. Thanks, Blake," I say quickly, trying to avoid whatever the hell that was. "I have to go get something for Raven in my tent. I'll meet you guys outside."

I knew that I was rambling but over the past two days every time I was with Bellamy I ended up flustered and acting like an idiot. It was absolutely frustrating. I enter my tent, sitting down to take a breather.

Despite my sleep deprivation, I felt fine. I didn't know how long it would last I just knew that I had to keep myself busy enough to forget about it. Luckily for me the past couple of days have been doing a good job at keeping my mind preoccupied.

Raven had asked me last night to bring her anything that I may have that contains charcoal. It was our last hope of creating more gunpowder. I open my pack first to search the contents but pause when I spot the letter that lay neatly on top of my things.

I hadn't had much time to think about my father, much less mourn his death. Sure I carry the weight of it on my shoulders constantly but I never have time to actually stop and process it. Seeing this letter now was a punch to the gut.