Chapter 17: Tension

Death does not discriminate

BELLAMY RUSHES CHARLOTTE INSIDE the tent where we had previously gathered.

Clarke, Finn and I follow right behind them. As soon as I enter I start pacing the small space. I run my trembling hands through my messy hair repeatedly. I know that I needed to stay calm in a situation like this, especially after what happened with Murphy, but how the hell do I do that?

Charlotte murdered Wells.

We hung an innocent person.

Now, we're hiding in this tent with no clue what to do next. God, I have to think.

I control my breathing enough and turn to face Charlotte, who was cowering in a corner. "Why?" I ask her. I couldn't stop my voice from breaking. "Why did you kill my best friend?"

Outside the tent, Murphy seems to have recovered from his near death experience. He was now railed up and looking for revenge. "Bring out the girl, Bellamy!"

"Why, Charlotte?" Bellamy repeats my question.

Charlotte looks between us in panic, fear clear in her eyes. She settles on Bellamy. "I was just trying to slay my demons like you told me."

"What the hell is she talking about?" Clarke demands.

"She misunderstood him." I defend, glaring at Clarke. Blaming Bellamy right now for saying stupid shit was not the issue. This girl murdered my best friend, someone I loved, I think that warrants being addressed first.

"Charlotte, that's not what I meant." Bellamy reprimands, scowling at her.

"A little too late for that," I comment harshly. "She should understand what figurative speech is. She's 12. Like you said in the woods, Charlotte, you're not little."

Bellamy gives me a 'take it easy' look. But I shake my head. She killed Wells, knowingly and willingly, that makes her a murderer. They could spin this any way they'd like, but it doesn't change that fact. Charlotte begins sobbing at my words.

"Bring out the girl now!" Murphy roars from outside the tent.

Charlotte looks between all of us. "Please don't let them hurt me."

"If you guys have any bright ideas, speak up." Bellamy stares at everyone. His glare stays on Clarke. "Now you stay quiet."

Finn scoffs, "those are your boys out there!"

Bellamy steps towards Finn. "This is not my fault. If she had listened to me," – he pointed a finger at Clarke – "those idiots would still be building the wall."

"You want to build a society, princess? Let's build a society. Bring her out." Murphy continues to taunt outside the tent.

I shake my head, this has gone on for far too long. "We're not the Ark. We're not going to kill people but we do need rules and punishments. We can't have people committing crimes and getting away with it. We also can't allow vigilante justice. Take Charlotte somewhere safe. I'll handle Murphy."