Chapter 20: Miracles

I SIGH AS I LOOK OVER AT SEBASTIAN'S sleeping body next to mine

I SIGH AS I LOOK OVER AT SEBASTIAN'S sleeping body next to mine. I slowly crawl out from underneath his heavy arm. He stirs slightly at the action but doesn't wake up. I pick up my clothes off the ground and get dressed as silently as possible.

As I exit his tent I was surprised to see that it's still dark out. I attempt to smooth my 'just had sex' hair down so I wouldn't get any crazy looks as I went back to my tent. The walk of shame wasn't exactly something I wanted to be teased about by my friend.

"Kat!" I hear Clarke yell. She's walking towards me in a hurry. Finn by her side.

She stops in front of me, breathing hard and fast. "Have you seen Bellamy?"

I roll my eyes not hiding the harsh tone in my voice. "Probably banging some chicks in his tent."

Clarke groans, turning on her heels in the direction of Bellamy's tent. I scoff. I was not going to get involved—not this time. I need to get a peaceful nights sleep just for one damn night.

I don't. Of course, sleep doesn't come so easily when I'm haunted by the events of the past few days. I toss and turn restlessly but my efforts were in vain.

The sun still wasn't up, but I decide that sleep was futile. The next best way to clear my head was to practice throwing my knives. It took me a while to etch a fake target into a tree but doing so also helped distract my mind.

The knife was light in my hands. I stare intently at the center of the target and with as much force and pent-up anger as I can muster I throw the knife at the tree. It strikes the middle, chipping away at some wood.

I huff, picking up the next one.

"That was badass," Octavia says appearing beside me. I gave her a quick once over. She looked distraught but nods nonchalantly at the tree that had a knife plunged into it.

"Thanks." I spin the next one in my hand ready to throw it too.

"Can you teach me?" She interjects, trying to make her voice sound assertive. I turn to look at her with surprise. She stares back at me with determination. I give her a small smile and nod.

I indicate for her to pick up one of the knives in the pile by my feet I had made. She picks a larger one and stares at me awaiting my instructions.

"Feel the weight in your hands." Octavia looks down at the knife, bouncing it in her hands. "Find the center of mass and level it between your pointer and thumb. Now, with your elbow bent at a right angle. Keep it directly next to you." –I lift her arm to help her– "Grip it but not so tight. Now you flick, only with your wrist... back and drive it forward."

She nods, understanding. I step back to allow her some room to try. She gets into position and does exactly as I had told her. The knife doesn't hit the target, but it still sticks to the tree with I found be incredibly impressive. I smile, "Nice!"