Chapter 37

WE WALKED AS A TRIO THROUGH the dark, dense woods

The night was quiet, and surprisingly refreshing. The air was cooler tonight and so walking with my body so broken actually wasn't terrible. I kept my eyes focused on the terrain, careful not to trip over anything. I still was walking pretty stiff from the torture.

The silence of the night was both a blessing and curse. Being alone with my thoughts was dangerous. I haven't allowed myself to think about the events of the past few days. I aggressively ignored it in fact. So I found myself having to stop myself from hyperventilating and my thoughts spiraling out of control.

It was still hard to close my eyes without seeing his bloody smile.

"I'd love it if you guys were right about this, but did you ever consider it might be a trap?" Clarke speaks up. I was secretly relieved by her breaking the silence. Now I had something else to think about.

I had considered this being a trap actually. I hadn't, however, considered what my plan was if it was a trap. As Finn had requested, I did not bring any weapons. Not even my throwing knives. Which did make me uncomfortable but I wasn't going to be the reason this went sour. If I was going to do this then I would do it right.

"Yep, but since it's Unity Day, I decided to have hope instead," Finn says, making a point to exaggerate his optimism at the situation. He clearly had his doubts but his diplomatic nature won over.

I smirk at Finn and then raise an eyebrow at Clarke. "Uh, excuse me, weren't you defending Unity Day earlier?"

Finn begins to chuckle but was cut short by a grimace as he clutches his side. I had forgotten that he was also injured. I hadn't forgotten that I was, considering that the only thing keeping me from bleeding out was wool threads poorly stitched together. As a reflex to seeing Finn in pain my hand automatically touches the wound on my abdomen.

Clarke was instantly by his side. Ever the medic. She lifts up his shirt to expose his torso. "Oh! Hey. Let me have a look at that," She inspects the bandage that seems to be seeping a little bit of blood. Clarke sighs, seemingly deciding that he was okay and lets his shirt fall back down. "Seriously, Finn, you're putting a lot of faith in a guy who stuck a knife in you."

"And you're sounding more and more like Bellamy." Finn grumbles. I pretend to ignore the tense moment that ensued as soon as Clarke had lifted his shirt. Apparently there was still a love triangle there that was unresolved.

"I'm just trying to keep us alive." Clarke defends.

"So am I." Finn shoots back. He becomes suddenly very frustrated, though it seemed that there was something more behind this little spat than just disagreeing about their approach to the Grounders. He picks up his pace and strides ahead of us.

I resist the urge to tell Clarke off. I have known her for many years so her "my way" attitude was something I was very used to. And sure, she naturally took a leadership position down here on the ground but that didn't mean that she's the only one who is ever right about everything. She was trying to keep us alive? As if we aren't doing the same thing for each other? As if we haven't been doing that this entire time we've been down here? Instead of arguing, I just let out an annoyed breath and walk to catch up to Finn.