Chapter 11: Nostalgia

"IT'S NOT MY BIRTHDAY," I ARGUE

Wells had woken me up, with a beaming smile on his face as he excitedly shouts 'happy birthday' at the top of his lungs. I almost end up falling from the table as I try to reach over to smack him. The action was harrowing, but I had to make a point. Firstly, it really isn't my birthday. Secondly, I don't want anyone to think it was my birthday.

"It's definitely your birthday," Wells quips.

"When we landed on Earth it was four days until my actual birthday. It's not, and I'll prove it to– oh. Never mind. Happy birthday to me."

He laughs, making his way over to hug me and to not so subtly move me back to my previous supine position. I grunt in pain but thank him. He presses a kiss onto my temple before pulling away.

"Happy birthday, Kate."

I shush him, hitting him playfully on the chest. "Will you be quiet?"

"Who's going to hear me? Jasper's subconscious?"

I roll my eyes dismissively.

My birthday was never something I celebrated. When I younger and thought that my mother had died during my birth, I told my father and grandmother that I didn't want anyone to do anything special. Over the years, as I grew closer to Clarke and Wells (the only other people who know my birthday), I pretty much had to avoid them the entire day because they insisted on getting me gifts. By the time I found out the truth about my mother, my birthday had become a day where I just grew a year closer to my death sentence.

Wells made it his mission when were six years old to be the first one to say happy birthday to me. He'd even sneak into my room the night before at midnight to beat my grandmother to it. I never admitted it to him, but it was the best part of my day.

"I love ya, loser," I sigh, half-smiling at the dark skin boy in front of me.

"I love you too." He smiles. He then reaches into his back pocket. I groan knowing what was coming. "Relax! I couldn't exactly get you a birthday gift down here. So, I just thought we could have your first real Earth birthday. I collected some sap from the trees and made this—it's supposed to be a candle. My great grandpop told me stories that on Earth they used to blow candles on birthdays and make a wish."

"How is sap suppose to grant a wish?"

He shrugs. "I guess we'll find out."

I exhale, knowing that there was no way that I was getting out of this. But it certainly was a nice thought to have. To make a wish on an inanimate object and have it come true. Especially considering the circumstances that we are in, a wish is something we all needed.