Chapter 35: unity day

MILLER'S WORDS PROVIDED A BRIEF sense of comfort but then I caught a glimpse of our friends across camp

They were all gathered around the outside of the dropship, laughing and smiling. Looking at them now, standing from the outside, I felt a pang of sadness. I could never admit it to Miller but the truth was that I would have to do this alone. There was no way in hell that I would place any of my burdens on them. They shouldn't have to bare my demons.

And for that reason, I will live with this pain and guilt silently inside of me. Like I have done with the rest of my pain so far. I will push it so far down that no one will ever have to worry about me. I will put on a smile and be strong—for them. Because they deserve so much better than me.

Miller stands up, sticking out his hand to help me up from the ground. "Ready for Unity Day?"

Together we walk up to the growing group around the small screen that Raven has set up just outside the dropship. Miller pushes his way to the front of the crowd, crossing his arms instantly at the sight of Jaha on the screen.

"My friends, this is a historic Unity Day. Every year, we mark the moment our ancestors of the twelve stations joined to form the Ark, but this is the last time we do so while aboard her. Next year, on the ground."

"Right. After we did all the work. Someone shut him up," Miller says bitterly next to me.

Raven rolls her eyes. "You shut up, Miller. No one's forcing you to watch."

"For ninety-seven years, we have eked out an existence, hoping that someday our descendants would return to Earth."

Finn scoffs. Clarke looks at him with a raised eyebrow. "Don't tell me you don't like Unity Day."

"Unity Day is a lie. The Ark only came together after the thirteenth station was blown out of the sky. Just not the version of history we like to tell each other at parties," Finn remarks.

"The Unity Day story gives people hope, though, and peace came out of that violence." Clarke answers defensively.

"Peace from violence," I scoff absentmindedly. "That's some bullshit."

Clarke looks over to me. "Coming from the girl who was part of the Unity Day pageant when she was younger."

I roll my eyes before shooting Clarke a dirty look. I made her promise never to mention that.

Bellamy shifts his weight on one foot, smirking at me. "Oh, I have to hear about this."

"Whoo! Yeah! Monty strikes again! Hey!" Jasper bolsters as he makes his way out of his and Monty's shared tent. They were each carrying large containers of Moonshine. "Call this batch Unity Juice! Who's thirsty? Monty! There you go."

"Hey! Save me some!" Sterling calls to Jasper.

Jasper starts handing out cups full of Moonshine. "Happy Unity Day. Pass it around."