Chapter 24: No Answers

THE DROPSHIP WAS HECTIC

A strom had indeed begun outside and had picked up rather quickly. We were struggling to keep the pouring rain from entering the enclosure. The tarp that I had instructed be put up was barely withstanding the violent winds.

I crouch down beside Raven, who was too busy fiddling with the radio in an attempt to communicate with the Ark to notice my presence. She seemed to have finally set it to the frequency she wanted and lets out a small content sigh, though the lines of frustration were still evident on her forehead. Raven clicks a button and speaks into a microphone. "This is Raven Reyes. Calling Ark Station." Static. "Come in Ark Station. This is Raven Reyes. Calling Ark Station. Please come in." She grunts, under her breath. "please, please. Can anybody hear me?"

I place a hand on her shoulder, letting her know that it was okay and that I was here.

"Are you sure you have the right frequency?" Somone asks behind us.

"Yes," Raven hisses forcefully. "I'm sure."

"Hey," I say to her just as Clarke makes her way over to us. "You can do this. If anyone can do this, it's you."

Clarke places her hand on Raven's other shoulder, "I believe in you."

Raven nods, feeling slightly encouraged by our support. Clarke indicates with her head for me to follow her. I rub Raven's back one last time as I stand up. Clarke makes her way over to Finn, grimacing as she tends to his wounds. Looking now at Finn's pale face, I feel a pang of guilt.

"I said some mean things to him before... I don't know what I'd do if those were the last words I said to him," I say, the despair in my voice evident.

"Calling Ark Station. Ark station. Please come in. I'm on the ground with the hundred. We need you."

Clarke looks at me. "You know Finn. He's a diplomat. I'm sure he doesn't hold whatever happened against you."

I bite my lip, silently hoping that if Finn gets out of this that he does forgive me. I didn't want this to happen.

"Guys!" Raven yells excitedly. "I'm getting some feedback, I, I, I think we're through!"

Everyone rushes instantly to Raven's side. She speaks more forcefully into the microphone. "Calling Ark station. Can you hear me? Calling the Ark Station. Are you there? Please come in." Raven looks up at me. I give her an encouraging nod. "Please... Calling Ark Station... The Hundred are alive."

The radio in front of Raven transmits some feedback. Everyone sucks in a breath. A voice responds through the speakers, "This is a restricted station. Who is this? Please identify yourself."

The crowd lets out small cheers and Raven smiles widely. "This is Raven Reyes. I- I'm from Mecha Station. I'm transmitting from the ground. The hundred are alive. Please, you need to get Doctor Abby Griffin. Doctor Abby Griffin. Now."