Chapter 29: Shots Fired

THE MAJORITY OF THE HIKING TRIP WAS spent in silence

Bellamy would occasionally check in on me from the corner of his eye—I pretended not to notice. The longer we walked, the more I felt like Bellamy was hiding something. He seemed exceedingly tense as he walked through the mildly dense forest. I tried not to take it offensively that he was so put off by company.

"You know," I speak up for the first time the entire trek. "The first dropship is coming down soon. You can't avoid Jaha forever."

As soon as the words left my mouth, I wanted to slap myself. Seriously, this is probably why he hates me.

He licks his lips, not meeting my eyes. "I can certainly try."

"You never know maybe he'll be lenient." I fiddle with the drawstring of my jacket. "I know a lot of us will vouch for you. I will."

"Thought you hated me, Kane." He lets out a small dry chuckle. "That's why Clarke picked me to go on this expedition with you."

"I don't hate you." I reply quickly. I immediately let out a breath and stare straight ahead. "I mean I used to but to be fair you were kind of a selfish dick. Still are sometimes. Now, I just tolerate you."

And he lets out a laugh, a genuine one. My head whips around to face him, a smile spreading across my face. Bellamy actually has a really nice laugh.

"You seem to be getting pretty close to my sister," he comments.

"Yeah, she's great. I really care about her."

He nods, "good."

I wasn't sure where the topic of his sister came from but I noticed the change in his demeanor. He seemed to be lost in thought as he stared off into the distance. He pops another nut into his mouth and we fall back into the a comfortable silence.

I look down at the map and then look around the forest. "Huh, the depot is supposed to be around here somewhere."

"How about you, Katherine? Your dad is coming down on the first exodus ship and you haven't spoken a word to him either."

"Trust me, I can handle my father."

Bellamy smirks. "Right. Guess we're both avoiding things, huh?"

I didn't answer him, just kept my eyes focused on finding the depot. "We should split up, cover more ground," I mumble.

Bellamy nods. "Stay within shouting distance."

I wander off, suddenly wanting nothing more than to be alone. I hated the fact that everyone kept bringing up my father but to be fair Bellamy was probably just as sick of everyone bringing up Jaha. Why was I feeling so anxious around Bellamy? Why did I care what he thought about me? I shake my head to clear it. What is wrong with me?