Chapter 16: Guilty

"HOW LONG?" I ASKED MY BEST FRIEND, who was currently pleading with his eyes for me to drop the subject

"HOW LONG?" I ASKED MY BEST FRIEND, who was currently pleading with his eyes for me to drop the subject. "How long have you been in love with Clarke?"

"Kate, please, I–"

I gave him a fixed glare, telling him that denying it would be pointless and frankly insulting to my intelligence. I had just caught Wells trading in his watch for art supplies for crying out loud. I doubted my best friend had taken up drawing considering that he could barely draw stick figures.

"I don't know when it happened, it just happened," Wells finally admitted, looking down at his hands.

"I knew it!" I exclaimed. "How awesome would it be if my best friends dated each other? I mean–"

"Kate, she doesn't feel the same way," Wells interrupted me.

I furrowed my eyebrows. "How do you know?"

He shrugged. "I just do."

"You haven't even told her!"

"No, but–"

We heard footsteps approaching then. My eyes widened as I stared at the dark-skinned boy in front of me. We both knew it was Clarke. She was the only one who knew where our secret meeting place was. This was his chance!

Wells was pleading me with his eyes not to say anything. Acting on impulse, I didn't say anything. Instead, I leaned forward and kissed Wells on the lips.

"Whoa," Clarke said as she walked in. "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt I thought we were supposed to go together to mess hall. Wait, uh– wait, what did I–? When did– How did–"

I pulled apart from Wells. His eyes were staring at me in shock. I turned to Clarke, pretending to be flustered. "Oh, we were going to tell you." –I took Wells hand in mine– "it kind of just happened."

Clarke looked at us slightly confused for a second before grinning widely at us. She let out a small laugh. "Wow, um, okay I guess I'll-- let you get back to whatever. Uh, I'll just catch up with you guys at Mess Hall?" She shook her head as if to clear it and walked out the door.

I blew out a breath. "Did you see that? She was sooo jealous. Told you she liked you. Admit it I'm a genius. Now we just got to pretend we're dating and she'll realize it soon enough."

"Kate, I don't know if this is a good idea."

"Oh come on, when have I ever had a bad idea?
—Don't answer that."

"How would this even work? Nobody would buy this."

I groaned at Wells' little faith in me, "just trust me."

A year later, Wells and I were still pretending to date. The act had grown to involve our parents, and then slowly I think the entire Ark even found out about our relationship. My original idea had definitely been blown way out of proportion. Wells was right, my bad idea wasn't working as I had planned. Clarke seemed oblivious to our attempts to make her jealous. The more time had passed the less it became about getting Clarke to notice Wells.