Chapter 36: a chance

WHEN I CAME TO AGAIN MY HEAD WAS killing me

WHEN I CAME TO AGAIN MY HEAD WAS killing me. It felt like I had been hit with a rock several times over. And I would know because I have suffered plenty of head injuries lately. I blink a few times, taking in my surroundings. Wait I wasn't in my tent, this was Bellamy's tent.

I sit up slowly, feeling the pounding in my head only getting worse the harder I tried to remember what happened last. It was like there was a blank hole in my memory, the last thing I recall was showing some kid how to do an Irish Jig. I don't even know how to do the Irish Jig.

I put on my boots sluggishly. When I emerge from the tent, darkness had already engulfed the camp. There was still partying and drinking going on, which meant that it was still Unity Day.

"Hey, partner!" Jason calls over to me. "Are you down for another game champ?"

I flinch slightly at his booming voice. "Uh, not right now."

Jason shrugs and turns back to his friends. I spot Clarke by a table, laughing and enjoying herself. It was a rare sight to see, one that brought a small smile to my face. I walk towards her just as Fox lands a metal piece into her cup. The game seems vaguely familiar in my mind.

"Kat!" Clarke howls as I approach. She grabs the cup of moonshine and chugs it down. I ignore the splitting headache that her loud voice causes me.

"What do you know? Her highness can actually party. I like it," a delinquent says behind Clarke.

I chuckle at the sight before me. Clarke addresses the group. "So, what are you gonna do when the guard come down and commandeer Monty's still?"

The delinquent smirks. "Build another."

Clarke's eyes widen. "Alright you ready?" She grabs a piece of metal from the table and attempts to balance it on her nose. I couldn't help but giggle at the sight. I could certainly get used to this Clarke. The metal falls from her face and she quickly picks it up again. "Oh. No. Wait. I have done this before, I promise."

"She has." I defend, looking at her with pure amusement.

She shoots me a smile as she attempts again to balance the metal piece on her noise, this time she accomplishes it. She throws her hands up, letting out a loud cheer in victory. Finn approaches us then, touching Clarke's arm gently. Clarke whips around to face him. "What is it?"

Finn looks at me and then to Clarke. He signals for us follow him. "Let's take a walk."

Clarke frowns slightly as Finn pulls her away from the group. I follow uncertainly behind them. Finn leads us far enough away from the rest of the group that we were out of earshot. Clarke looks at him in confusion. "Sorry. Did something happen?"

"I need you both to come with me, but I can't tell you why okay?"

I look at Finn like he lost his damn mind. Did he really think I would just start following people into the woods again? After last time? I know this is Finn but come on, I had my reasons to be cautious about walking into the dark woods alone with someone else. I cross my arms over my chest and wait for him to explain further.