Chapter 14: A Plan Of Action

~Somewhere underground~

A hooded figure wearing a cloak ran down the dark tunnel, only the quiet sound of their footsteps could be heard. At the end of the tunnel, there as a large stone door that was slightly opened. Upon approaching the door, the figure pulled back their hood to reveal a 20-year-old girl with long brown hair and skin covered in white and purple scales.

She entered through the door and was instantly greeted by the countless quiet hisses of the creatures that lived there. Round, dirt huts lined one side of the massive cavern while multiple streams and farms lined the other. Some of the residents stopped what they were doing to stare at the new arrival.

The brunette strode past them, ignoring the stares she was getting and instead looking straight at the larger dirt hut at the far end of the path. She saw a figure outside and she narrowed her red eyes to better see who it was.

Waiting outiside the gap serving as the door was a tall Venomari. But this was no ordinary Venomari, it was the leader.

21-year-old Venom had his arms crossed in an impatient manner. His dark green scales glistened in the dim lighting and his four, slitted, yellow eyes were half lidded. The end of his long tail swished from side to side like a cat.

"You're late, Ana." He told the brunette as she came within earshot.

"Better late than never," was Ana's reply as she adjusted her gray hoodie before bending down to rid her jeans and black sneakers of dust. Unlike the other Serpentine, Ana looked more like a human with scales rather than a humanoid snake. And as far as every Serpentine know, she was the last of her tribe.

Venom shook his head before slithering through the door with Ana following behind. The inside was pretty bare, only containing a large, round table, some cabinets to hold weapons and a few old maps pinned to the walls.

Standing around the table were the three other Serpentine leaders. The first one was a 22-year-old female Constrictai named Diamond. Although she looks small and frail, she is one of the strongest Constrictai to ever lead.

The second was a 21-year-old Fangpyre named Ruby. While all the past leaders of the Fangpyre had two heads, she only has one and her long fangs that poked out of her mouth make her almost look like a saber tooth tiger.

The last Serpentine was none other than 24-year-old Skales Junior, the leader of the Hypnobrai and King of the Serpentine. He wore his crown proudly on his head and has followed the path his late father wanted for their kind; a peaceful life to nurture the next generation.

"You're late." Junior said as Ana and Venom joined them. Ana rolled her eyes amd waves her hand dismissively.

"Cut the lecture, Jun. Let's just get this over with." Junior sighed at this response. She still acts like a child, he thought. I guess it's expected of someone who has no tribe to lead.

"Alright. So, I called this meeting to discuss the unusual sightings of shadow figures our scouts have been reporting." Junior began before pointing to a place on the map on the table. "The most recent sighting is at Ninjago City. Most specifically, the house of the former Master of Fire."

Diamond slammed her hand on the table, making Ruby and Venom flinch. "Why must we care what goes on with the surface dwellers? We are only endangering ourselves more by getting involved with their problems!"

"We could care less of the surface dwellers," Venom spat. "But Ninjago is our home as well. If the land gets destroyed or taken over by dark forces, then we will suffer alongside the surface dwellers."

Ruby shook her head. "You are both wrong," she said as calmly as she can. "The humans, although not of our own kind, are still part of Ninjago and the balance. Our fathers before us have made peace with them, so we must-"