Chapter 12: Vengeance Will Be Mine

They failed.

They failed to do the one thing they were supposed to do; protect those who can't protect themselves.

The war is over. It has been for 15 years. The threat is gone.... and so are the lives of the innocent.

You'd think that a child won't remember much about what happens when they were less than 5 years old. But what happened when I was that age isn't exactly easy to forget.

I remember. I remember the war. The screams. The shouts. The deaths. I remember it like it was just yesterday.

I remember my father. My friends. Even the people I don't know.

I remember how the earth would shake every time the Earth Master would use his power or when a bomb goes off above the ground. I remember how scared I'd be and how my father would hold me close and tell me that everything will be fine.

《¤》

Another tremor shook part of the underground shelter where a 5-year-old girl sat up on her makeshift bed. The young girl hugged her toy snake tighter as a quiet whimper escaped her dry lips.

Her red eyes looked down at the sleeping forms of her friends and their parents who seemed undisturbed by the multiple quakes that sent some dust raining down from the ceiling.

The girl whimpered again, this time catching the attention of her father. "What's the matter, darling? Why are you awake?" He asked. He got his answer when the earth shook again, making the young girl whimper a bit louder and hug her toy closer.

He gave her a soft smile and wrapped his arms around her small, cold body. "Don't worry now. Everything will be fine." He said, his voice gentle, as he stroked her short, brown hair. "Everything will be okay, my little girl. Believe me."

The young girl smiled as she sat there, completly safe in the arms of her father. She belived him. He would never lie to her. He never lied to her.

This time, when another earthquake shook the small room, the girl didn't fell afraid. Because she believed on what her father said.

Everything will be okay.

《¤》

I believed him. I believed that somehow, someday, that whole mess would be over and I could live happily again with my father and friends.

But I was foolish to believe. Foolish to think that everything will be fine. Foolish to believe that nothing could change my life right then.

Believing. That was my mistake. I believed too much. I hoped too much. And then those monsters came and took my innocence away. They took my happiness. Took my father.

《¤》

"Daddy!" The girl's scream alerted the father that the enemies were getting closer. He pushed himself to go faster, but the monsters were still able to catch up. Some pounced on unlucky survivors.

One tackled the father, causing him to drop the girl as the two rolled around and fought. The girl quickly crawled behind a boulder, her snake toy still tightly held by one hand.

"Get off me, you fool!" The girl heard her father shout. She whipped her head to see that the monster was pinning her father to the ground.

The father was struggling under the monster's clawed grip. Red liquid was coming out of some cuts, scaring the girl.

"Daddy!" She screamed, catching the attention of some of the monsters. Three of the inhuman creatures started towards her, making her crawl back in fear.

"Ninja-Go!" Six shouts were heard, followed by the shadowy passageway being illuminated by six Spinjitzu tornadoes.

Before the girl knew it, she was being picked up by strong arms. She looked up and saw the dusty face of the Earth Ninja. The girl saw the other ninjas fighting off the other monsters, but failing.

"Everyone, retreat!" The Green Ninja's voice echoed throughout the wide tunnel. Multiple monsters swarmed towards them, overwhelming the Ninjas.

The girl saw her father push the monster that held him. Standing up, he charged to help the Ninjas.... only to run into the blade of one the creatures.

"No! Daddy!" The young girl screamed, tears beginning to spill from her eyes. She saw red liquid spill from his wound and his mouth.

The creature that stabbed her father pulled out the blade, letting his body fall to the ground. The monster continually slash its blade at him, ignoring the screams of the little girl calling for her father.

The girl thrashed about in the arms of the Earth Ninja, trying desperately to break free so she could run to her father and help him. But the ninja's grip was strong.

She could only watch with wide, tear-filled, red eyes as the Ninjas ran down the tunnel, away from the monsters. Away from the red, lifeless body of her father.

《¤》

Father. I lost my father that day. As well as my innocence. It still haunts me. The shouts, the violence... the blood. It was enough to scar a child, even more so for me. And he wasn't even my real father.

I questioned why the Ninjas didn't do anything. Why they didn't help him. But all I got was the usual 'everything will be okay' that reminded me more of my father.

I later learned that many innocent lives were lost that day too. I am now walking through the tunnels. That very same tunnel where the light has been brutally ripped from my young heart. The same tunnel that is tainted with the blood of my people, my friends... my father.

Anger boiled inside me. Why didn't they save him? Why did they let many innocent lives pay for their mistakes? Why did they have to live happily when others mourn over the dead bodies of their friends and families?! Why?!

They don't deserve to live. They don't deserve to live happily when other lives were ruined because of them! I will get my revenge. I will avenge those innocent people who died immorally.

I will avenge you, Father. Those Ninjas will pay. They will pay in my hands, my claws. They will fall in the hands of the little girl they 'saved' 15 years ago.

They say revenge heals nothing. But for me, revenge is everything. It's all I have left to live for.

I am the girl who lost her humamity to avoid death, only to die inside as her father was brutally killed. I am the daughter of the greatest father.

I am Ana Chumsworth, the human-turned-Anacondrai daughter of Pythor P. Chumsworth, the last Anacondrai.

Better watch your backs, Ninjas. You should know not to trust a snake.

《¤》

Whew! Well, that's done. Sorry it took so long, ya'll know how school can be. I sure hope this was worth the wait.

Also, I accidentally published this chapter while I was still writing so... my bad. Sorry for you guys who saw the notification but wasn't able to read the chapter.

Also, sorry if this turned out dark. I wanted ti introduce Ana, but I didn't wanna introduce her the way I did in ver 1. I actually took inspiration from Harumi's backstory.

Anyway... Dream out!