Chapter 39

" See you soon "
song: unsteady - x ambassadors

My eyes opened to complete darkness. I could barely breath which caused me to jump up.

My eyes focused onto a gray flannel and my body instantly relaxed when the smell of him hit my nose.

My face had been stuffed into the crook of Carl's neck. I wiped my eyes and focused on his. His hand was on the lower part of my back, they were an ice cube.

His eye was shut which meant he was asleep peacefully. He was starting to sweat again which caused my heart to break.

Sweating is a sign of failure to the heart from the mark of an infected.

I wanted to take all of the pain away. He was hurting like he never has before. I wanted to put my gun to his temple and end it for him right here.

I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

His eye fluttered open causing a smile to form on my face.

He was going to see another day.

"Hey." I smiled softly, moving the hair out off of his face.

He smiled weakly, groaning in between breaths.

His face had already began to sink in. The bags under his eyes were almost a bright red. His lips were so dry and chapped. He was so pale, almost matching the color of his bandage. He was dying right underneath my fingertips and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it

 He was dying right underneath my fingertips and there was absolutely nothing I could do about it

"I love you." I smiled at him.

"I love you." He smiled softly, closing his eye.

Michonne was at his side as I held his hand. He smiled at her softly and my eyes began to sting from the tears begging to come out.

"I don't want you to be sad after this." Carl looked up at her.

"Carl..." Michonne shook her head.

"Or angry." He breathed.

"You're going to have to be strong. For my Dad, for Judith, for Maci.." He paused, swallowing hard.

"For yourself."

Michonne looked up at us both with a shattered heart.

"I will." She promised as she looked back down at him.

"Don't carry this, not this part." He shook his head.

Michonne nodded, unable to speak.

My sobs became more louder by the second. I turned to look towards Rick who stared blankly.