Chapter 16

"Maci...this is your Dad."

I stood there in shock. He went to hug me and I stepped back. I stared at him and shook my head.
"You look just like me.." He smiled softly.
"Oh go fuck yourself." I said and walked off.
I heard nothing but silence as everyone was confused of why I wasn't balling my eyes out.

Yeah hell fucking no.

I wasn't gonna cry my eyes out to a man who left me in a horrible home. He may not even be my actual Dad but guess what? I didn't care.

Nobody understood except him.

Carl stood on the porch staring at me. Tears fell down my cheeks and I hugged him and cried into his shoulder. He hugged me and rubbed my back.

I then felt a strong pair of arms around me.
"Get off of me!" I screamed at Rick.
Rick stood there with that asshole.
"Why?!?" I screamed at my so called Dad.
He stood there looking at me confused as hell.

"You don't know do you?" I laughed knowing he was acting like he knew nothing.
"Know what...?" He asked staring at me with confused eyes.
"I was in a foster home since I was born." I said looking at him directly in the eyes.
He stared confused and I shook my head and just exploded.

"You didn't want anything to do with me!" I screamed.

He shook his head quickly and I ran inside with Carl.
"I don't wanna talk to him." I shook my head as the door slammed shut.
Carl held my arms as I looked towards the door.
"Just try, okay?" He asked.
I shook my head.
"Just give him a tiny chance." He said.
I sighed as he slowly let go.

I stared towards the door then opened it.
"Small talk. That's it." I said.
The man nodded quickly as Rick gave me a glare. I sighed as they sat down and I sat on a different couch.
"Me and your mother were 14 and 15 when we had you." He sighed.

"We made awful choices because we didn't have a nice family. Everyone was on drugs and didn't care what we did...so we thought it was okay to have sex." He said.
I stared at him, listening carefully.
"When you were born, we knew we wouldn't be able to take care of you properly so we decided to let someone adopt you. We thought we choose the right person but I guess not." He shook his head.

"She wouldn't let us see you and I never knew why until now. When you were older I constantly called the couple who adopted you and asked if I could talk to you." He said.
"They told me you hated me so much and that you didn't love me. It broke me right then and there so I just gave up." He said.

I sat back a little.
"Your mom wanted to have another kid when we were 18. I couldn't handle that because I still was hurting so much over not being able to get to you." He said.
"Your Mom up and left me one night with an older pervert asshole because I wouldn't have sex with her." He sighed.

"Once this all started, I knew I'd find you somewhere. I never gave up." He smiled softly as tears started to fall.

"When I found him, I knew he looked like someone I knew...he looked like you. I wasn't for sure if it was just a coincidence or what." Rick said.

"I'm so sorry Maci. I really am. I tried so hard to get you back and tell you the actual story and why I just wanted to give you the best." He said then looked up and just broke.

I got up and hugged him as tears fell down my cheeks. He hugged me so tight and I just cried.
He actually cared. Someone cared. I had a Dad that I just had to gain trust too.
Who knows if he's lying...
I pulled away slowly and he smiled.
"You look like your mom too." He laughed a little.
I smiled.

"So my mom actually didn't give a damn about me?" I asked.
He shook his head.
"She cared about you so much. But once I told her I couldn't get a hold of the adoptive parents, she broke. She started drinking a lot...she changed so much." He sighed.
"She did love you very very much. She just got depressed and gave up so easily." He said.

"That's where I get that from." I sighed.
He looked at me.
"Giving up." I said.
He sighed and sat back.
I then noticed it all. He acted just like me and looked like me.

He had brown hair and blue eyes. He was so extremely stubborn acting but so kind hearted.
I smiled.
"What?" He laughed.

"Your just like me

"Your just like me." I said.
Carl and Rick both agreed causing us both to laugh.

"She has the kindest heart, she can be so stubborn, and she has the brown hair and blue eyes." Carl smiled.

I smiled as he shook his head.

"What actually happened with you?" He asked slowly as I sat down and sighed.

"I always just remember being in a foster home. The foster home sucked so bad and she would do terrible things if I did anything wrong." I said.

"What kind of things?" He asked.
I shook my head quickly not wanting to bring anything up again.

"All of the kids there were assholes." I sighed.
"I escaped out of that foster home one day. That day happened to be the day of the zombie apocalypse." I said.
He shook his head and I sighed.
"I've been alone doing this since it started. I loved it though, because I was finally free and not kept in a house where I wasn't wanted all day long." I said.

He looked at me with hurt eyes but couldn't get anything out.
"Carl and Rick found me." I smiled at Rick then Carl.
"I've never been more comfortable with people like this in a really long time." I laughed.
He smiled.
"What's your last name?" He asked me.

"Thomson." I said and he smiled.
"You kept my last name." He smiled.
I smiled.
"What even is your name?" I laughed.
"Derek." He smiled.
"Your Moms name was Katelyn." He said.
I smiled a bit.

"Is there any proof you have that can show your not lying...?" I asked.
He smiled knowing exactly how I felt.
He reached in the top of his shirt and pulled out a locket.
"It was your Moms." He said.
He opened it and I smiled.

"We had you for a little bit

"We had you for a little bit..long enough to get pictures done as a forever memory." He said.
I smiled as tears formed in my eyes. The baby looked like me just a little.
Enough to show he wasn't lying.

He took the necklace off and held it out to me. I looked up at him instantly causing him to laugh.
"You deserve a reminder that someone loved you and still does." He said.

At that exact moment I knew everything would get better.

Really soon.