Anywhere But Home

Start from the beginning

I was glad to be back in LA. I was tired of traveling around the country in a van. It had become exhausting and after a while almost impossible. The past year was amazing however, and I wouldn't change any of it. Throughout the course of touring we had become a family. Even Demi and Joe. We were all best friends. That tour would be the last time our lives moved at a normal speed.

The process of recording the first album was very much a learning experience for everyone. They all worked very hard though and in the end it would pay off. It took about three months to record a record that the label felt comfortable with. They made a few tweaks here and there and by the time summer rolled around, they were doing the final touches.

"What are you guys doing?" I asked when I walked in and saw Demi stirring something in a bucket.

"Making Jell-O shots." She answered innocently.

"In a bucket?" I laughed.

"It's an economy sized batch." She smiled.

"Isn't it a little early for a warm up?" I asked as I watched Johnny dump a bottle of raspberry vodka into the bucket. "It's only seven. In the morning." I added.

"We've been up for like two hours already. We're good." Demi grinned.

"If you say so." I sighed, shaking my head. "Where's Nick?" I asked.

"He's inside tracking drums." Demi answered as she pointed toward the studio doors.

"Thanks." I smiled as I left them to there mixology and went to watch Nick record.

I saw him setup on the soundstage. He had his headphones on and he was already playing as I sat in the booth. I could tell he was playing a heavier song due to the incessant crashing of the cymbal.

"Wanna listen?" Mark, one of the producers asked.

"Yes please." I answered.

He flipped a switch on the panel and I could hear the song as it exploded out of the speakers.

"He can't hear the guitars or vocals right now because he's playing to a click, but he's tearing it up." Mark smiled.

"He certainly is." I said to myself. I was so proud of him.

Thirty minutes later, Nick exited the booth and made his way toward me.

"Hey baby!" He said with a huge grin as he approached me.

"Hey." I kissed his lips softly and laughed when I felt his arms wrap around me and lift me off the ground.

"Wanna go grab some lunch with me?" He asked.

"Of course." I answered. "How was the session?"

"It was awesome. We're almost done. I think Demi and Joe have a few guitar parts to record and some backing vocals. Other than that, it's pretty much a wrap."

"I can't believe this is actually happening." I said as he laced our fingers together as we made out way toward the lounge.

I was surprised to see that it was empty. They had left evidence of their jello project behind in the trash cans.

"They were making Jell-O shots." I explained to Nick who looked slightly lost. "See." I said as I opened the fridge.

He laughed. "Wow. I know what we're doing tonight." He winked.

"I wonder where they went?" I questioned as I looked down the hallway.

"Who knows." Nick yawned. "Lets go grab some lunch."