Relate (24)

We stayed in silence for a few minutes before Jackson came back and knocked on the door. I tried to hide the tears but I knew he saw my red puffy eyes.

Joshua knew about how I felt when he was around but he also said those butterflies weren't going to last. Deep inside I knew he was right. After Jackson knocked he stood up and walked outside the door to leave but he turned around and smiled at me.

“ Give him a break, please. He hasn't had it easy either" he asked

He was asking something of me I didn't know If I was going to be able to do.

“ I need to talk to him about all this" I said, wishing Joshua could understand.

“ I'm asking you to try to be in his shoes before you get mad at him." his eyes turned sad when he looked at me.

I knew it wasn't easy for him to just let go of something you might have work on to make it last. I also knew he was right. I wasn't his happy ending and he wasn't mine.

He left with Jackson and I finished gathering the papers I needed. I closed the office on my way out and went to the kitchen.  

I spent the morning cleaning the house and organizing the other two guest rooms. It was almost a fact they will stay the night after the Bonfire. We knew when it would start but not when it would be over, knowing us when we all get together. 

Around eleven in the morning I heard the squealing of rubbers against the muddy road and the roar of an engine I already knew. A minute later I saw Camille running inside the house through the kitchen door.

Her brown straight hair fell on her shoulders in waves. She was wearing a small pink dress with vans. She was definitely a little rebel like her dad. I heard another door closed and I saw Blake’s tall figure walking inside the kitchen door with groceries bags on his arms.

He placed them on the table and turned around to look at me without any words. He had his lips pursed trying to hold a silly smile.  Camille was next to him with the same look, it was adorable and I knew they were planning something as soon as I saw how they looked at each other.

“ Good morning you two” I said with a smile getting close to them, putting away the dishes I was washing and drying my hands.

They didn't say a word but Camille went outside running as I heard her giggle. Blake looked at me and finally smiled. The tenderness in his eyes made my stomach flip and my insides melt like grilled cheese. He took a step closer to me and wrapped his arms around my waist in a hug. I wasn't going to let him off that easily and when he least expected I stomped his feet.

His arms dropped immediately to his foot While his face contracted in pain. He closed his eyes so hard and let out a snarl.

“What the hell?” He asked confused, as he tried to ignored the giggles coming from outside.

“ I’m mad at you” I was mad but not as much as last night. My voice reflected the anger and expectation for this moment.

“What did I do now?” He asked confused sounding like his younger version when his mother called him after a call from the principal's office.

“I heard you and Joshua last night” I blurted out without thinking twice.

“Oh...I understand. I did really deserved that” he breathed deeply as his chest rose with disappointment during nervousness.

“Yes, you did. I talked to Joshua this morning…” I said turning around trying to hide the confusing thoughts running wild through my mind.

“ About what?” He asked, cautiously. As if he was waiting for a sudden outburst of rage from me.