The things I never said (4)

Miranda jogged towards me with a wide smile on her face as she pulled me into a big, crushing hug. She was just as tall and beautiful as before. Her long hair brushed my skin when she buried her face in my neck during the hug that lasted a few seconds.

I noticed how skinny and weak she was before pulling away slowly from the hug. I looked at her, trying not to feel overwhelmed by the reality in front of me.

"I thought you would never come," she whispered so only I could hear her.

"I've always been here for you," I said with confidence, heaviness in my words.

"What are you doing here? Weren't you supposed to be on your honeymoon or something, you know anywhere but here? " Blake asked harshly, not caring about interrupting our conversation.

I looked back at him and found his eyes looking from me to his wife. I hadn’t forgotten he was there. I didn't want to make a big deal out of this moment but I couldn't stop wondering how things would go from now on.

"I'll stay for a few months," I replied softly. I took a look at him and the little girl in his arms. I could feel how tough it would be to change his mind.

"Blake! Can you please be polite? Liv is here and we need to celebrate. We have her back!" Miranda said looking joyful. She took a place next to Blake and their daughter.

The picture in front of me brought memories of those years hanging out together, the four of us. My heart beat decreased at the view of the family in front of me. The dream I once had, a family, something that will never happen for me with Blake and maybe with anyone else. I was too damaged.

"I want to stay home with my wife and daughter." he said, his word pierced me like a splinter. He was not looking at me but his wife while she was giving us a weird look as if she was waiting for something to happen.

He wasn't in the mood to deal with me right now, I could tell from the way he avoided talking to me.

"Exactly! We will have a small dinner at home. Would you like some of Blake's barbecue ribs?" She offered, looking at me expectantly while taking her daughter in her arms. Camille giggled delighted.

"That sounds good, I guess." I tried to smooth the hesitation in my voice but I knew she noticed. Blake didn't want to deal with me, but I made a promise a few weeks ago and I was going to stay around to fulfill it.

"But Miranda-" Blake started to say until she cut him off.

"Great! I'll go home with Camille here and start everything up. She is a big fan of yours Liv, that is why she's being a bit shy today." Her gaze was on her daughter now.

I walked towards them and smiled at the little girl.

"Then you and I will have lots of fun while I'm around." her smile grew as she giggled, burying her face in her mom's neck.

"I'll leave the two of you alone. You can catch up before dinner." she winked at me and whispered a clear "good luck" while passing by me towards the door.

I felt like a bomb was between us, waiting to explode from any sudden movement. As silence filled the stables, I touched a strand of my hair. Blake looked at me with his hands in his pockets. He used to do that when he was uncomfortable around someone.

"Why did you come back?" He asked with his raspy manly voice.

"I wanted to spend time with dad before getting married." I lied. I couldn't tell him the truth about that letter I sent weeks ago and what happened with Ryan.

He stared at me for a while before taking a seat on a wooden bench near us. I followed him but didn't join. I knew closeness was the last thing he wanted right now.