Run away bride (1)

[5 years later]

I was folding my gray Gucci dress, rethinking my decision, but the more I thought about it the more I was sure it was the best thing for me.

"Are you sure about this?" Kelly asked again, worried. Her curly blonde hair was in a messy bun as she helped me pack my clothes, making me regret, for just a split second, what I was about to do.

"Yes, I am, Kelly." I replied with confidence, almost annoyed at her constant questioning. She was still surprised to see how serious I was about leaving home.

"You're just going to leave him without a word?" She ask as though she couldn't believe I was doing this to Ryan. He was loved by everyone but I knew him better. The way he made me feel was something I will never forget nor forgive, at least not for now.

"Yes, and please, Kelly, for the hundredth time today, don't tell him where I am. You must understand why I don't want to talk to him." I said with pleading eyes as I headed back to my bags to close them.

"I trust you, Liv, I'm not trying to make you stay. I'm worried about how things will end up for you." she said, hugging me. We worked together for seven years and she knew me well enough to trust me. It had been a long time since I’d been back home to Colorado so this trip had me nervous too.  My family and friends weren't happy about my success. It wasn't a good idea but it was the only place I had in my mind where I could go.

She helped me with my bags as we made our way out of my apartment. I took a last look at it, everything was in it’s place. The only things that made it obvious I had moved out was my closet door opened baring it's emptiness.

I felt sad and empty. It was a hard decision but I knew it was the best one for me. At this point in my life, I had to be selfish enough to only think about my happiness and not what others wanted for me. I gave myself a moment to appreciate the furniture and the memories we made here. They were nothing compared to the ones I had from Colorado, my home.

I closed the door, ready to leave as we made our way to the elevator. Kelly knew I needed some time. She needed to accept the news that I was leaving but when we walked through the lobby she asked the inevitable.

"Are you going to come back some day?" She asked, biting her lower lip, trying not to cry.

I had to be honest with her, she deserved it. She had been with me all of these years, supporting my stupid decisions.

"I don't know," I replied, looking at her puppy dog eyes cast down to her feet. "But I will always be here for you no matter where I am." I hugged her, taking my time to say a proper goodbye to my friend.

She broke the hug and smiled at me. "Let's hurry, the taxi is waiting for you outside."

I called a taxi instead of going in my car, it has a GPS and anyone close to me could find me easily. I had to erase the memories of what he did to me and the marks he left.

"Call me, text me or whatever, don't forget about me." Kelly was a wreck of emotions right now and I understood why.

"Take care of that baby and I will come visit when he or she arrives." I told her with a wide smile. I caressed her tiny belly and she smiled all teary eyes at me.

The driver put my bags in the trunk and waited while I said goodbye to Kelly. I got in the car, taking my sunglasses off and the scarf that was covering my face. I breathed slowly, trying not cry. It didn't work very well because, without realizing it, I was sobbing as though someone had died. Maybe it was true, perhaps the Liv I had been for the last ten years died today.

I was leaving these ten years behind, everything I’d done, all my accomplishments of the life I thought was perfect. I needed time and a place to heal and the only one I had in mind was home. Time heals all wounds right? Well,  so I've heard at least.