Chapter-24

Hi!

I just wanted to slip a quick thank you to my readers. I hope you are enjoying the story so far guys. =)

--------------------------------------------------------

Colorful flyers, paper streamers, over pricey dresses and vintage music.

Those were the things that had taken over the town since the last few days. 

Why you ask? Well, it was because it was the time of the year when our otherwise normal town celebrated its 'happy week', no relation to alcohol by the way.

It was the week which marked hundred and some more years when the town was founded by its first settlers. I am sure it started with some low key event but slowly somehow British influence took over and now it was just a week to let out your inner Anglophile.

So basically there were sales, parades, costume competitions and a several more events all week round and every year there was a dance held at school too, or as people with rose tinted glasses liked to call it, a ball.

It was like being in an episode of poor man's Downton Abbey, only with less scandal and way less actual British people.

Pathetic? I know...

But this year our school had decided that we won't be doing what every one was doing so for the first time in maybe like forever, we were having a normal American high school dance. Or at least as normal as things can be when Shay was involved.

"Mike! I told you, more on the left!" Shay hollered, using her powerful trademark Taylor vocal cords and the rest of us quailed at her shrilly never ending barrage of orders.

"But you just said to the right!" Mike whined, on the cusp of losing his cool too.

"Yes, because then it was too much in the left but now it is too much in the right!" Shay clamored, looking up at Mike with a steely gaze, and establishing her hands on her hips, looking more tenacious than ever.

Guess who had the potential of having a career as a drill sergeant in the future?

Sighing exasperatedly, Mike rose up again on the step ladder and fiddled with the fairy lighting hanging below the Tulle decoration.

I shook my head at both of them and trying to block their streams of invective, I tried my best to intertwine the string lights with the barren branches of silver painted fake trees.

"No! You twerp!" Shay shrieked and Mike almost lost his balance from the ladder at her sudden flare up, but after a momentary staggering, he composed himself and turned to glare at Shay.

"What now?" he yapped in a total non-Mike manner.

"You're clustering up the lights!" Shay yelled, looking so distraught like someone had stolen her first born child. "Can't you do one thing right?"

"Shay, I swear if you yell at me one more time, I'll set fire to everything here. Norah here won't say anything 'cause we have a deal," Mike threatened, but then spun around to rectify whatever horrendous mistake he had made.

"I'll have you neutered before you can even think of doing that," Shay replied back with ease and then nipped off towards the dance area, ordering something to Haylie who was the in-charge of the music.

Haylie gulped and Mike pretended to hang himself with an imaginary noose around his neck and acted to kick the ladder from under his feet.

Yup, those were the reaction Shay had the ability to conjure up from people.