Fashionably Late

This chapter is dedicated to the character Chermaine. Her character resembles actress Hayden Panettiere 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent the majority of the week at my mother's. Sinister sent me everything I needed to be done before Friday and like always I got it done by Wednesday the latest. Thursday was spent shopping for my outfit. Usually, I would wear a pantsuit since father treated me like an assistant. Mother insisted I try harder this time, to show Charmaine and everyone else that I am a force to be reckoned with.  I didn't want to look like Charmaine or any of the other daughters that were attending. I wanted something classy and sexy.

Mother and I visited almost 30 stores before I found the one. We stopped at a small boutique night near Mother's condo. It was owned by a lovely woman who designed and created her own dresses. The dress that caught my eye was her recent and original design. It was a unique tight-fitting deep V neck Chiffon long Burgundy dress with a long sweep train. The back of the back of the dress was backless with two crisscross straps by my shoulder blades and lower back. 

I cried when I saw the dress. I've never seen or wore anything close to something so beautiful in my entire life. Truth be told I never went to prom, I told everyone I wasn't interested but it was because I felt like I didn't belong. I couldn't wear this dress to prom and there's NO WAY I could wear this dress for the party. Something that good can't look good on me. 

"Honey if you don't try it on, I'll cause the biggest scene in history at that party

"Honey if you don't try it on, I'll cause the biggest scene in history at that party. Bigger than the one I made when the Gucci store sold out of their coin purse." Mother threatened.

Unfortunately, mother wasn't lying. She had a tendency to cause scenes when things don't go her way.

"Okay Okay... I'll try it on."

What is the harm anyway? I know I can't pull it off but a girl can dream, can't she?

Ironically the original dress was in my size. It felt as if it was made for my body. Once I stepped outside the dressing room instant tears came out of my mother's eyes. I turned to the mirror on the wall and I realized that I was crying myself. I look...beautiful! The dress hugged every curve I had. I looked like I belong in the Kingston Family. I looked like I belonged.

I bought the dress with no hesitation. That dress did wonders for me. My confidence, energy, and voice felt powerful in the dress. I felt like a seductress. A smart classy and sexy woman who can hold their own. This dress will get me noticed at the party, whether father approves or not. 

I continued to stay at Mother's until Friday arrived. From what my father told me, Serpent and his clique arrived in town early Thursday morning and checked into the 4 Seasons penthouse suite. They've received and accepted the invitation to the party and should arrive at 8 pm sharp. For security reasons, I decided to hold the ball at one of the father's extravagant banquet halls in town. Father designed the hall to be the most elegant and expensively beautiful places in all of Seattle. There hasn't been one party held here that one person didn't like.

Friday morning was crazy for me. I had to arrange hair and makeup for my mother and myself before we headed to the hall to finalize plans. Mother spent the whole morning looking at me in awe. I was never too into makeup and my hair but once I saw my face in the mirror, I looked...different. The feelings I had in my dress only intensified. I am ready for tonight.

It was late afternoon by the time we arrived at the hall. The room was decorated in white and black silk linens and the chairs had gold silk wrapping wrapped around. There is even a red carpet leading to the large stage where the DJ would be set up. Everything looked perfect but...nothing is set in stone until father arrives. Mother and I got dressed upstairs in a changeroom meant for bridal/groom parties for weddings. We were dressed and glammed up by 6 pm. As my mother placed her favorite diamond chain necklace around my neck, I stared at myself in awe. I couldn't believe that I looked like a...princess! From my glamour makeup down to my open toe black Yves Saint Laurent Stelidos...everything was perfect!

Mother and I joined the security team in the main lobby downstairs. Father is on his way and I needed everyone set up before he arrives. Once all 200 of the hired security were placed at their stations, guests started to arrive at the door. Father was the first one to arrive on the red carpet and trailing behind him is Charmaine. Father wore on all black Armani suit with his studded black Louis Vuitton loafers. Charmaine matched with my father. She wore a black tight ruffled sweetheart dress with rhinestone beading leading on the side and red Gucci platform shoes.

They both walked up to the doors and gasp at what they saw. Father was shocked to see my mother by my side after all these years of separation while Charmaine was appalled over my outfit.

"Mija... Raven, what is going on here?" Father gasped. It is rare to see my father shocked. Quickly, Charmaine grasped my father's bicep while the other rested on her hip.

"I decided to keep my daughter company as she runs this...party. Hope that isn't a problem, Sinister." Mother snapped back. Father's jaw clenched as he detected her snarky tone. 

"Adrienne, what are you wearing? Looking a little desperate don't you think?" Charmaine spoke.

"Coming from the girl wearing a shirt as a dress. The theme is Red Carpet Glam, not spring fling in Miami." 

"Ladies please, Adrienne you look...beautiful. I don't think I've seen you in a dress. I approve." Father's compliment brought a smile to my face.

"Well, we have a long night in front of us. Father, I'll you know when our guest of honor has arrived." I gave father an earpiece for communication.

Father took the earpiece and disappeared into the banquet room for the party. Soon after Mother and I got to work. I spent the time making sure every guest made it inside the hall with no hiccups. Mother left me sometime during the party to rekindle old friendships with some wives of my father's business associates. 

"Mija, it's 8'oclock. Has the Serpent made an appearance?" Father hissed through my earpiece.

"No, Door has been closed and the guards at the front haven't seen anyone." 

Before I could take a breath, a sudden burst blasted through the main doors. Quickly I ran from the security office upstairs to the downstairs lobby to see the commotion. I made it downstairs and saw a large swarm of security men rushed through the doors. They all wore black suits and matching black aviators.

 I couldn't see who they were blocked by the door but something told me that our guest of honor has finally arrived.