Chapter 37 - Leave.

Ben Solo did not oppose his arrest. He asked that Rey could keep his lightsaber, which General Tyder granted. Rey watched him go to his cell with a twinge in her heart, though she had always known that it would be so.

She even had an amused smile on seeing Ben leave, much larger than his two jailers, looking determined. She knew that he had nothing to do of the handcuffs that had been put to him, that he could have made them fly apart without problem if he wanted to. She resisted the urge to read in him to know what he was thinking at that moment. He must have felt it because he turned his head for a moment and then left.

The ReBirth rejoined the cruiser before going into hyperspace. Rey took the opportunity to find Poe just out of the debriefing. She noticed that he looked very upset.

- Ah, Rey ... he said, seeing her.

- How did it go in there? she said, pointing to the command room.

- Wrong. They demote me captain, again, he said with an ironic smile. It's to believe that it becomes a tradition!

- But why?

- I did not listen to Tyder's orders, I ordered the retreat. Damn it! he exploded, kicking the wall.

Two young pilots passing by looked at him out of the corner of their eyes and hurried on. Poe watched them pass in their turn without facing their eyes.

- They almost all look at me as if I were a traitor or a madman ... We lost more than 40% of our staff in a few minutes! What was I supposed to do? When I attack, they reproach me, when I retreat too...

- You did well, said Rey softly. We will be better prepared next time.

Poe looked up at her.

- Tyder wants us to do a simultaneous ground / air attack. I do not see where he wants us to do that, but I do not have any decision-making power anymore.

He sighed, then seemed to reconnect to the rest of the situation.

- But by the way, is he here now?

Rey sat up.

- Yes, Ben Solo is here.

- In prison, I guess?

- For the time being.

- For a good moment.

- Poe ...

- I maintain. For a good time I hope. We saved his head for you, but I think I speak for everyone when I say that no one is ready to forget everything he has done.

- Ah yes? And you, Poe? Are you so proud of everything you did in your life? And all the bombers you sent to hell, are you proud of? she said, feeling anger rising in her.

Poe approached her until she was only a few inches from her face. They could feel each other's breath on their cheeks and looked at each other.

- You do not have the right ... he whispered.

- You neither. He is not an angel, but he has changed. And yet it's really not easy for him. So give him some time.

- I do not want him here. Not in the Resistance, Rey. Nobody would understand it.

- But who's saying that he wants to become resistant?

- So what is he doing here?

- You know very well Poe.

He smiles sarcastically.

- Oh yes, love, change ... I respect your choice Rey, even if I do not understand. But do not ask me to appreciate it. I will not be able.

They were there to face each other in the hall, eyes in the eyes and so close ... People passed around them avoiding them and especially by avoiding doing anything to disturb them a little more. It was a bad time for Ben Solo, handcuffed but not blind, to be accompanied by two guards to the command room where Tyder was waiting for an interview.

Ben's blood did not turn until he saw the scene. He held out his right hand and Poe felt himself taking off without understanding anything. Rey screamed as the pilot was pulled by a superhuman force until Ben was able to grab him by the collar without feeling any shackles. The two guards tried to separate them but Ben used one of his hands to throw them against the walls. The confusion in this little corridor was total, while Ben strangled Poe with only one of his hands.

- Stopped! screamed Rey. Stopped! But what's the matter with you!

Ben could not say anything, he was too angry. Poe struggled like a lion in a cage, kicking but seeming to have no effect. Ben finally saw Rey's teary face, and he let go of Poe who fell to the floor.

- What did you do? Rey sobbed as she leaned over to help Poe get up.

- I thought ... I'm sorry ...

- You can! She screamed.

The guards having recovered their spirits they got closer suspicious of Ben pointing their blasters on him. Tyder was out of the command post, hearing the screams. He gazed at the scene with disgust. His amber eyes came to rest on Ben.

- Congratulations, Ren, you succeed your entry.

- It's Solo now.

- Ren ... Solo ... that's the problem. We do not know who we are dealing with. And all this (he went around the stage with his hand) does not inspire me much confidence.

He paused.

- However, any enemy of our enemy can be our friend ... or at least our ally. Come on, come in. Try not to destroy or attack while we talk, to change, says Tyder, defeatist.

Ben tried to find Rey's eyes, but she turned away from him. She took care of Poe. He followed Tyder and his guards, hoping it would be quick. He had to talk to Rey.

Poe got up hard, but he made his choice. He was more than convinced that Ben Solo could not be trusted. He looked at Rey, who was wiping away the tears that had rolled over her cheek.

- You will not mind but my opinion is made.

- I'm sorry ... he does not know what he's doing in those moments ...

- Rey, I beg you. Is that what you want? It's him, it's ... this monster?

She did not answer.

- Think hard. When you'll understand who he is, then come back. I will always be there for you.

He left, leaving her alone with her questions. They were all in a deadlock. Ben could not stand this captivity and hostility around him, as she had not borne hers onboard the Fluency. And she should not let him fall deeper into the dark side, leaving him gnawing with anger. There was only one solution that would suit both of them. They had to leave.

She thought back to the gray jedis ... Yes, she had to learn more, and Ben could help her. They had to leave, it was decided. She asked permission to see Tyder immediately. It was refused. She insisted. And finally, the door opened. She found herself in the command room next to Ben.