Chapter Six.

We finished the cladogram in less than a half hour. Once Ethan stopped trying to convince me that monkeys are more related to bananas then they were related to other mammals, we were able to put the rest of the organisms on the chart.

"But their DNA is more similar," Ethan continued to argue, even as I pressed print.

"That being so, bananas don't nurse their young. And they aren't mammals." I stood up to go retrieve the paper from the printer.

"Fine, princess." He sighed. "By the way, are you feeling better?"

"I feel perfectly fine," I smiled. It was as if nothing had happened earlier.

"Its around dinner time, are you hungry?" Ethan asked and stood up.

"A little," I admitted.

"Great, I'm making you soup." Ethan walked out of my room.

I stuffed the cladogram into my folder and followed him to the kitchen. "So, you can cook too?" I asked and sat down at the counter.

"I'm a pretty great chef," He said and threw some ingredients into a pot.

"You seem great, I don't know why Madeline keeps warning me to stay away from you," I muttered.

"She did what?" He seemed surprised.

"She says that you're a player and you just want to get into my pants."

Ethan rolled his eyes. "That's not true. I'm not a player."

"And you don't just want to get into my pants," I added.

"Maybe a little," He smirked.

"You're not helping your cause here."

"I'm sorry, but you are very hot, and smart, its sexy." Ethan said. "But I'm not here to get into your pants. Besides, we just met two days ago."

I could feel my face heating up. "Good, but that still doesn't explain why your sister thinks you're such a player."

"I go out with a lot of girls," He admitted. "I just haven't found one that makes me think 'I want to take her home to meet my family' or one that I see a future with. Believe it or not but I have feelings."

"I get it," I nodded. "Don't worry,"

"Can this conversation not leave this room?" Ethan asked.

"Of course. It's not like I have anyone to tell." I replied. It was weird seeing a guy like Ethan so open.

"Thanks," He went back to prepping the soup. He put the pot on the stove.

I got up and began to help him clean up.

Ethan didn't say anything else, so I left the kitchen and went into the living room. I sat down at the piano and began to play aimlessly.

After a while, Ethan came into the living room and slid onto the bench next to me.

"Sing to me? Maybe? Please?" He asked like an excited puppy.

I stopped what I was playing and switched to another song, my heart beating faster as I played the opening chords. I closed my eyes and began to sing.

"So, I heard you found somebody else. And at first, I thought, it was a lie. I took all my things that make sounds, the rest I can do without." I sang softly, very aware of Ethan's arm brushing against my own. I sang the song through.

"Don't want your body..." I played the last chord. I opened my eyes, realizing a tear had slipped out when I did. I wiped it away and turned away from Ethan. The mood was all weird and awkward. I practically slammed the lid over the keys. "So, is that soup ready?" I asked and walked into the kitchen.