[17]

[ZACH'S POV]
In a few minutes I had sneaked out, and found myself sitting next to Vanessa.

She looked, of course, beautiful. She was wearing casual black shorts and matching top. Dark hair landed gently on her shoulders as she gazed straight ahead.

Vanessa hasn't said a word since I came here. I really couldn't tell what she was feeling right now. At least she was not yelling at my face, so maybe she wasn't that mad to me.

But looking at her now, I felt nervous. I wanted to apologize, but didn't know how to start. Thoughts were just running around in my head, not making any sense.

Luckily she decided to talk first.

"Ethan was here today."

Oh shit. Her voice's tone told me that it didn't go well. Yet I asked:

"What happened?"

Vanessa sighed, dropping her eyes on hands. Then she shrugged quickly as short, harsh hum left her mouth:

"He came to apologize. But little did he know what I knew - he has been having sex several times with my best friend. Well, with my ex best friend."

I could see she was hurt, heartbroken. Still she wanted to pretend brave and tough.

"And then", Vanessa hesitated a little, "we broke up. I guess."

I stared her fragile appearance. She kept her gaze on the horizon as her hand tucked a piece of hair behind the ear.

Suddenly I knew exactly what to say.

"I think this is the moment when I should tell how sorry I am, but I'm not. So I'm not gonna say that", I started and Vanessa turned to give confused look for me.

I continued, "In my opinion he didn't deserve you. If he couldn't keep his pants on even for a one full week, he clearly doesn't appreciate you enough."

I felt kind of weird after saying that. We really haven't talked deep stuff with her, like never - it has always been just teasing and mocking between two of us.

Vanessa stared me with her pretty eyes. It seemed like she was trying to process everything I just said.

Eventually shy smile came on her lips, "Thank you. For saying that."

"So you aren't mad to me? After that facetime-thing?"

"I overreacted like always. That's just who I am. I snap and say things that I don't even mean. I always mess things up", her voice started to crack, and soon one tear escaped down along her cheek.

"I hate that about me."

She wiped the tear away, but more tears were coming. Being embarrassed, she turned her head on different way.

I felt bad for her - she has just lost best friend and boyfriend. I admit, Vanessa can be a little bitch, but she certainly has the sweet, caring side too. And she cared about Ethan.

"Hey, it's okay", I reached out for a hug, and without hesitation she wrapped her arms around my neck.

Vanessa bursted into tears as her warm body leaned against mine. I rubbed my hand peacefully along her back. It was like she understood only now what has happened.

I don't know how long we were like that. But eventually her crying stopped and she backed from the hug.

"God, I look total mess", she sniffled, wiping the last tears away.

"No, you look gorgeous", I shook my head, and she gave suspicious look for me.

"You're just saying that because you want me to feel better."