The Day before the Night

I woke up and stretched my arms. Immediately notice an odd itch on my ear and the smell of gas. Obviously I get up and quickly put some clothes on. I put on a simple T-shirt and some shorts. When I walk outside, I'm met with a wave of heat hitting my face. It was so hot I was sure my eyebrows were burnt off. I covered my face with my arm and ran away from my home until I could see the entirety of it. Looking back at it, I saw that it was on fire...huh. There were firefighters around me and I walked up to one of them to ask.

"Excuse me...what's going on?" The firefighter rhino looking man looked at me out the corner of his eye to say in a nonchalant voice. "Oh this? Just a small fire. One of the other residents here house set on fire from leaving their oven on." He then went back to doing nothing while the arguably medium size fire grew seemingly hotter. I had concerns though so I continued to pressure this man. "Well shouldn't you have evacuated me?" He just snickers like I made a joke and said. "Nah, this...this is fine." No, I have a serious problem with this. I mean it's normal to be told about these kinds of things and be evacuated right? This is wrong right?

Eventually the firefighters did their job...well apparently they were doing their job that whole time. I never understood fire science. I went back inside to get dressed for work. Once I arrived there, people seemed more obnoxious than usual for some reason and I didn't seem Max around. Are these signs? What are they trying to tell me?

As I go through my somewhat abnormal day of work, I get a phone call on my cell. People know that I'm at work so who would be calling me? Once I pick up the phone and put it to my hear there is a moment of silence before I say "Hello" I then hear heavy breathing and a familiar voice. "Zoe? Help me...I've been taken." I then hear a rougher voice saying "Hey! Who did you call? I told you to call your manager!" Then I hear her scream and the phone clicks off. An unbearable rage and a sense of disbelief with a hint of helplessness overcome me.

I stand up sharply, grab my keys, and start walking out. People stare at me with fear in their eyes. I must be making a scary face. Once I get in my car, I start doing some research. It seemed like she was kidnapped early this morning by some unknown people. Apparently they ambushed her bodyguards as soon as she left the building this morning. The police didn't respond fast enough to know where she was. I could find her however. Her phone was on meaning I could track her through that with an App we both have. I can't believe something she did on a whim actually came in handy. I turn it on to find out they are in some kind of typical warehouse. Without wasting another moment I take off.

Before I arrived here, I made sure to call the police. I only called when I arrived so that I could have my way for a little before they arrived. I walk in the warehouse to see 10 men wearing hoodies and face mask. It was a gang as usual. Some of them had weapons while other didn't. They all looked at me curiously and in the center of them all was a girl with cat ears and a cat tail...also the reason I'm here. "I came for her, give her to me and no one gets hurt." I say while pointing at the cat girl. One of the guys get up and take his thumb and cross his neck with it like he was slitting a throat. Next thing I know something hard like a bat hits my head. "I guess there were more than 10." Is the last thing I think before I fell unconscious.

When I wake back up, a cat girl is holding me around my stomach while crying. 11 men are on the ground, some of them bleeding. Most of them were just laying there while others were groaning in pain. The cat girl was holding me back from my next victim. The guy was already on the ground obviously in pain but conscious. He had blood dripping down his forehead and obviously had fear in his eye as that was the only part of his body I could see. Only one sentence came to mind.

"Next time...you're dead!" after that the police came and Mr. Vampire detective came with them. Being acquainted with him not only avoided me from going to the hospital to get looked at for the blood that was apparently on my head and hands but also allowed em to avoid going to the police station. The cat girl didn't have that luxury. I did still have to make a statement on what happened... I just didn't quite include every detail. This certain cat girl was quite famous so news broke out about her kidnapping but the police were the ones that claimed the glory of saving her...which is what I wanted. After that, I needed a drink.