Work 3: (Wo)Man's Best Friend

Apparently, people in the office were actually doing work because they thought I was going to prison. It was the first time they ever saw me leave early or be in trouble in general. Of course they would worry, their jobs were on the line. You would think they would learn their lesson but somehow I ended up doing all the work yet again and everyone else was relaxing. My coworkers are great, really.

I sort of 'waited' to see if anything else unpredictable was going to happen. By wait, I meant do work that wasn't mine. Eventually I would get up and move over to Max. I pulled up a chair next to him and said. "So...I met this girl and..." he mumbled something like "oh hi Max, nice to see you today Max, the reason a police detective came back and asked about me was because I'm actually a white collar criminal ..." I frowned and it wasn't because of his comments but moreover his bad mood. I just tried to speak in a calm town and said "Max...don't be that way. I've really been wanting to see you. My life has been crazy this weekend and I just want some counseling...and who better to ask than my best friend? Isn't that right boy. Who's my boy? Who is it?" Max hated it when I treated him like a dog, mainly because...it worked. He started getting all riled up before he caught himself and cleared his throat. "So...you're having women troubles? Being a woman? Shouldn't you have some kind of clue?" I sigh and respond with "Well she's a little different and the circumstances are different. Apparently what happened was..." and so I explained to him everything that's happened from what I could remember until now. I even mentioned the spicy bits. He found the story more funny than anything. Well I only made the assumption because he was laughing a lot. I had to ask a fee times, "are you listening?" He would then say something like "how could I not?" After it all I just sat back and sighed while he finished his last laugh. He then seemed to get in a serious mood. "So, you made promises to this dulluhan...why don't you just back out on them. It seems like you could have gotten away with saying you were drunk and weren't in your right state of mind. The reason you're doing this...can't be because of some sense of duty or because she's attractive." His words really hit me, why did I agree? Now I'm at a point of no return but before. Couldn't I have just brushed her aside? Where did this sense of loyalty towards her come from? As I thought in silence, Max spoke up.

"Well, I can't really help you directly with your problem but I might be able to help you remember that night you had with her." This in particular sparked my interest as I really didn't think there'd be a way other than some forced, brain breaking, remembering. So I asked

"Oh yeah? What do you have in mind?"